1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Games to play in tutor time

Discussion in 'English' started by Miri, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Dear all,

Our head of year has just announced that as of this half term, he wants us to be playing games in tutor time with our groups. I have to admit that as I only teach KS4 &5, I'm not au fait (?) with the sort of games I could play with my yr 8 tutor group. I don't think they have to necessarily be educational.

Does anyone know of any good sites for pshe ish type activities to do in tutor time?

Many thanks,

miri
    miri1981miri@yahoo.co.uk

2. Dear all,

Our head of year has just announced that as of this half term, he wants us to be playing games in tutor time with our groups. I have to admit that as I only teach KS4 &5, I'm not au fait (?) with the sort of games I could play with my yr 8 tutor group. I don't think they have to necessarily be educational.

Does anyone know of any good sites for pshe ish type activities to do in tutor time?

Many thanks,

miri
    miri1981miri@yahoo.co.uk

3. Hi,

I do riddles with my class- they love them! I also do Mallet's Mallet word association game- I'm working on making one that is even tougher- doing concepts and emotions rather than objects. I also do You Say We Pay taboo and separate the class into boy and girls teams. (it's like Richard and Judy's game, but there are key words on the side that they're not allowed to say either). I also do word chains and show optical illusions sometimes too which the pupils like.

I have all of these on powerpoint- leave me your email address and I'll forward to you if you like

:)

4. Oops- you have your email here!! Silly me- I'll email now :)

5. reidling, I would love a copy of your powerpoint for my y8 tutor group, if you don't mind sending it.

magentasue@gmail.com

Thanks! :)

6. no probs...I will send now :)

7. wow! Thankyou Reidling! Those games look fantastic!

8. No problems! I'm tweaking a few of them now, as I rushed them together when I had a few frees...

They're really good if you have hard to manage classes- my year 8s are putty in my hands when I bring the games out! The riddles are also really good to have on the board when the pupils come in the door as it gets them thinking straight away- I'd tried having other starters on the board but nothing works better than the riddles with my very tough year 9- so we've 5 minutes of riddles on days when it's period 5!!

:)

9. Can I have a copy of your powerpoint please?
    My email address is

lipstick_gal@hotmail.com

My year 8's could do with some little games towards the end of term...

Thanks!

10. Hi Lipstick...there's several of them so I've sent in batches...

I'll pop them on the resources page too :)

11. If you are popping them on resources, I shall wait. I have had to pick up a low ability Year 7 class for the last half term and I think some games might do them some good.

12. I'd be really grateful if I could get copies of these too reidling. My address is jhnsue7@aol.com
    Or, if you could post the link to get to them on resources, just as good. Is it just me - or does it take ages to trawl through the resource bank looking for a particular thing; often not finding it at all?
    Thanks

13. These are great! Thank you.

14. The link isn't working. I was really looking forward to these too!

15. Thanks maja! I'm useless!!

16. That one works. Ta very muchly.