1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Games to engage boys at KS3

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by BuryFCA1, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am doing a project this year aimed at incorporatng games to learn key words and engage boys at KS3. Does anyone have any deas or resources they could share?
    If you have resources that I could use then please email me at buryfca1@hotmail.co.uk
    I am happy to do a resource swap if you tell me somethng you would like too
    Any help apprecated
    Thanks

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi BuryFCA1

What key words? Are they subject specific?

I don't have anything immediately to had, but could you create something where football is involved or is a theme? It is my experience that almost everyone at that age is interested in football.

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Do you mean physical games? If not, and you're looking for group games to establish teamwork and learning then Minecraft may be worth a look. It's the biggest computer game at the moment where they build things/have to survive - Google Images does a better job at explaining.

We had an ICT inset a year ago about their educational version (http://minecraftedu.com/) to be used in schools where pupils have to complete tasks such as orienteering, use maths to problem solve, can recreate historical worlds etc. Perhaps having the boys work in pairs/small groups to discuss the tasks would reinforce the keywords element you're looking for, whilst highly engaging them as this is a game 99.9% will be aware of and have probably played.

Sorry if you meant physical games! I would echo pepper5's suggestion on football based games, perhaps even rounders where they have to answer questions after hitting the ball before they run?

4. MrS_1983

MrS_1983 New commenter

I played classroom football once. Had people in positions and two goals. 11 right answers in a row = a goal. They absolutely loved it!