1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Games to engage boys at KS3 RE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by BuryFCA1, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am doing a project this year aimed at incorporatng games to learn key words and engage boys at KS3. Does anyone have any deas or resources they could share?
    If you have resources that I could use then please email me at buryfca1@hotmail.co.uk
    I am happy to do a resource swap if you tell me somethng you would like too
    Any help apprecated
    Thanks

2. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

The 3 stage hat game, or any variant of it.
    They get a minute per team to score as many words as they can. If their time runs out, the word goes back into the hat.
    Round 1: they pick a keyword out of the hat, give the definition, and the rest of the team / their partner has to guess the word.
    This goes on until all the words have been guessed.
    Then it's Round 2:
    Same as before, but they're allowed to use a maximum of 3 words.
    And once the hat is empty again, it's time for Round 3:
    Mime only. Except this time they have to give the correct definition AND the keyword.

There are dozens of other possibilities, such as:
    Bingo cards, where the keywords replace the numbers on conventional bingo, and the caller gives only the definitions.
    Fishing, where the "fish" have keywords written on them and a hole punched in them, and the "rod" is a ruler with a bit of string attached, and a bent paperclip at the end. You have to fish out your word, but to keep it you have to be able to give the correct definition, otherwise it has to be thrown back.
    My personal favourite - snakes and ladders. All you need is a laminated S&L board, a die, and a list of the keywords and definitions. You need to get one definition right to go up a ladder, and two to avoid a snake's dangerous embrace. And yes, when you're on the top row you have to roll EXACTLY what you need to finish, otherwise you bounce back and risk that particularly lethal little snake. It's quite astonishing how much covert cramming they'll do when they're asking a question of their oppo.

Mimes are fun and terribly good at giving them visual images but can get a bit energetic. Bingo takes preparation and you need to be a fan of the laminator. Fishing can take longer to set up than you can really justify. Snakes and ladders is an absolute dream, and works at absolutely any level. KS3 keywords fit beautifully, but GCSE questions are just as good (and great for exam technique when it's April and they need drilling), and my A-level kids loved thrashing each other around the board in their final lessons before study leave. And if 80%A*-B is a decent result, it seemed to work.

Good luck!

3. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Taboo is a good one. They are given a keyword and have to get their partner to guess it without mentioning certain related key words, e.g. Easter without mentioning eggs, chocolate, rabbits, crucifixion or Jesus. I find this works well for revision for all years and you can make it easier or harder by allowing them to use varying amounts of keywords. You can make it more competitive by awarding points for number of keywords correctly hinted at in a specified time period.

Another one is word association, you could play this in several different ways depending on the ability of the group, but you could give them a topic and each person has to give a word that is related to the topic or is completely unrelated (depending on how you are playing it). It works best in medium sized groups, eg 8-10 students and they have to come up with a word within a certain number of seconds, they do get faster when they get the hang of it. It might be useful to have someone who is observing (a TA if possible, or a student who is impartial) to decide if the words meet the criteria or not. If someone takes too long or gives an irrelevant word more than twice they are out of the game and the last two people in the game are the winners.