1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Games lesson- Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year.ppa, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Observations are coming up and I will be teaching a Games lesson to a class of Year 2's. The focus of the ob is the teacher's use of questioning to extend the children's learning and to secure progress. I just wondered of there are any PE experts out there who might be able to help me out with a few 'outstanding' questions that will be helpful in a games lesson on sending and receiving... Thank you in anticipation of your help...

2. Observations are coming up and I will be teaching a Games lesson to a class of Year 2's. The focus of the ob is the teacher's use of questioning to extend the children's learning and to secure progress. I just wondered of there are any PE experts out there who might be able to help me out with a few 'outstanding' questions that will be helpful in a games lesson on sending and receiving... Thank you in anticipation of your help...

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errm this might not be any help, but Id' swap my lessons about and do a different subject!

But then I'm not a very good PE teacher.

4. hehe... already thought of that but I'm a PPA teacher so kind of have to do as I'm told!!
    Thanks anyway!

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would have them evaluating their own and others' work.
    What do you feel you did well there? Why? What could you try to improve next?
    What did you think about the way 'Sam' passed that ball? In what way did he do that? What was good about that? What could he have done better?
    How could we make this activity harder? Easier?
    What is the most important thing you need to think about to make this activity successful (could do some diamond ranking here)
    Hope this helps

6. it certainly does, thank you.... it's silly but the word 'OB' starts me off flapping then I forget all sensible suggestions like yours...thank you. Sorry to sound daft but what is diamond ranking?

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Diamond ranking may be a little bit hard for year 2 but essentially you give the children statements about the activity. eg. If you were to ask what is the most important factor for success? Give them written statements such as 'accurate passing', 'good teamwork', 'communication', 'concentration', 'good catching', 'wearing nice clothes'. They then put these things in order of importance.
    The diamond comes from the shape the children sometimes make when there are several statements grouped together in the middle because they can't decide which is more important.
    Best done in pairs or small groups to stimulate discussion and perfectly acceptable in a P.E. lesson.

8. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I would advise that you start off with some kind of skill, e.g. dribbling the ball and then get the chilren to self and peer evaluate using the questions other people suggest. Take it further and apply in a new skill or mini game, e.g. you dribbled the balls and evaluated how you did this. Now you can apply in a 5 mini 5a-side game. As for questions, make sure that there is a variety on the lesson plan and also encourage the children to talk through answers before replying.