1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Games Design - A realistic proposition? is there realistic work in this?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by coldmetal, Nov 22, 2017.

1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

I see so many courses in FE for Games Design as in computer Games. How are so many able to offer this provision? Are they just aiming to capture the students' interest in this? What is the psossibility of graduating students going into this industry designing games?

In comparison I would say the Graphics industry outnumbers this hugely and yet there are fewer and fewer Graphics courses.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I taught Computing in FE, mainly hardware, although I did run a PHP web scripting unit for the last three years. The computing course we offered had three different 'flavours' - hardware technician, software and games design, and business IT. They had common core units, then the remainder of the units were selected from an appropriate matrix depending on their choice of route.

I know some students went on to do further study from the hardware route at HND/Foundation Degree level, and some others went on to to do Software Engineering and Web Design courses, at Uni. But I don't recall any going on to do Games Design specifically.

I think part of the problem is the fact that they don't really appreciate how involved games design actually is. I once showed a few students a book on Games Design, to give them an idea of the level of mathematics involved. Most of them got to about page 3, before deciding that perhaps Games Design wasn't an area they wanted to venture into.o_O

coldmetal and sabrinakat like this.
  3. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

I can well believe it...

4. robfowler93

robfowler93 New commenter

Had a student recently ask me about this and it reminded me of this thread.
    Games design is an INCREDIBLY competitive industry; top tier computer scientists, physicists, mathematicians and engineers from top tier universities all compete with 'games design' graduates for the same jobs, which are rare.

As our colleague says, it's the maths. However my student was a good physicist and I would still not advise them to do games design at university. Rather, study physics or computer science (or indeed both) and drop in to the industry later.

I think some Russel group unis do computer science BSc with a games aspect. However most "Games design" courses are not grounded in computer science at all and are BAs. They cater to the superficial aspects of the development process including concept design, marketing, graphics etc. This limits the options of your student quite severely.

Look on 'which university' at the entry requirements, satisfaction and initial earnings for games design courses. Most tend to be low. If a student was passionate about pursuing it, I'd be very picky about where.

elder_cat likes this.