1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Game engine training

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by msa969, Sep 18, 2019.

1. msa969

msa969 New commenter

I wish to teach a new course on Game Engine development to my students perhaps next year.
    I have coding knowledge in Java and Python but no Game Engine experience on software like Unity, Unreal Engine, Unity GameMaker & Construct 2. The school will need to install one of these software. I will need to choose one that is perhaps freeware or is discounted. I will need to go on training for Game Engine. A quick search shows the price of training for these can start from £2000.

https://www.nobleprog.co.uk/cc/vuforiaunity?type=onsite&participants=1&how=private

Does anyone know of cheaper courses on game engine trainig

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

It depends what you are trying to do and at what level. Each of the above are very different in what they can do and how much programming you would need to do to get things working e.g. gamemaker there is an excellent book on it, unreal is pretty easy to get up and running with an environment.
    Really need more detail on the level.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Just do what most have always done - teach yourself
    As I stated on another recent post, the Unity educators section is pretty good
    https://learn.unity.com/educators
    and should provide a more than sufficient grounding for work at school level

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

I went for Unity as it is free for educational use, the tutorials are good and easy enough to get your head around. I tried some of it out with my grandson who was 12 at the time, he didn't have to many issues either. In school it is slightly different because if you are running with minimum system specs then it takes its sweet time to render some items, then students start to moan etc.