1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaining weight since starting to exercise!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucejuce, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Can anyone shed some light on this? I have begun to exercise, walking 40 minutes at fast pace morning and evening, every day. I am eating the same but since I begun - 4 weeks ago - I have put on 5 pounds. I also have a hectic day - teaching special needs kids which is physically tiring and mum to 3 kids under 6 so I'm constantly on the go.
    Its all a bit demoralising really!! Any advice?

2. It could be that you are developing muscle. Most fitness trainers prefer to look at your body measurements - do your clothes feel any different? Hopefully a bit looser around the waist band and bum?
    If you want to lose weight, you will still need to cut back on what you eat.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree,if you're building muscle it's supposed to weigh heavier.
    When I started my last regime (I dislike the term diet as it tended to mean temporary weight loss only as long as one kept to the strict diet and I put it all back on again plus some afterwards!) I prefer the eat sensible portions and increase exercise approach and last time I did this I didn't lose a single ounce for 3 weeks!

4. I agree with the others-it's probably muscle. Good luck with the exercise programme-I hope it helps you.

5. Thanks for the replies - but dont feel very muscley tbh! And I am not really noticing a difference with my clothes. Sigh! I dont particularly want to lose weight but def dont want to gain! I just find myself really hungry much of the time - actually shaking and I need to eat something sugary. Maybe I'm not pushing myself enough?

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Were you definitely not gaining weight on what you were eating before?
    Also, how can you be sure that you are eating the same unless you were weighing out food and tracking what you are eating?
    I have upped exercise with no noticeable success with weight loss before. I know that is because I was eating too much anyway and I may well have eaten a bit more to compensate without really noticing.
    I have only managed to lose weight by combining the exercise and tracking what I eat.

7. Weight and density are not the same thing.

8. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I am aware that they are not the same thing. I should have been clearer in what I was trying to say. What I meant was that people always come out with "Muscle weighs more than fat, it's heavier" when they actually mean denser, but don't necessarily realise that this is what they mean. I didn't mean to imply that I thought they were the same thing. Either way, the point i made still stands.

9. Ah so sorry with you now and I agree with the point you made.

10. Everyone yo-yos when trying to manage their weight. But if a diet works - and you put weight back on - what does this say about you? The diet worked but what you are doing now is not keeping the weight off - so you need to look at what you are doing. The likelihood is that you are consuming more calories than your body needs - so the surplus calories are stored as fat. Taking exercise often causes the body to yearn for more fuel - so beware the urge to give in to that! Try switching to more good carbs (hi glycemic index) will help . Drinking lot LOTS of water helps to transport all sorts of gunk away - including fats and toxins. I believe that weight management is as much about developing the right mindset as anything. When I lost a massive amount of weight last summer it finally dawned on me that I needed to be careful what I consumed EVERY DAY for the rest of my life. So keep burning off the excess and don't consume more than your body needs. Good luck and don't give up doing what you know to be right.