1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Gaining QTS

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Middlemarch, Feb 4, 2012.

  1. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    Have you contacted the Teacher Training Agency to ask about this?
  2. The Nottingham PGCEi is for teachers working in countries other than the UK. It is not a teaching qualification as such - that is it would not allow you to have qualified teacher status. If you have teacher status in your own country then you would work in the UK on the basis of being an overseas trained teacher and gain QTS here through that route.
  3. I am also just completing the Nottinham PGCEi, having done my practicals in a British International school abroad. I'd assumed I'd always work abroad, and by default then in an international i.e. private, school, and that this would never be an issue for me, but due to unforseen family circumstances I am now moving back to the UK.
    I had understood from Nottingham that there were 2 parts to a UK based PGCE, the academic part and the teaching practice, at the end of which you obtain QTS, if you've done a taught PGCE in the UK, you come out with both, PGCE/QTS, whereas we come out with only the first part.
    Is it not possible to do the QTS at a later stage? If a UK based PGCE student passes the academic bit, but not the teaching practice, what happens? Is there a system for obtaining QTS separately?
    I assume I can work in the independent sector in the UK? Some independent schools may have their own policy to employ only QTS candidates, but can they legally employ me? And indeed, can a state school employ me without QTS as a unqualified teacher? I´ve seen the term "unqualified"on TES forums and other sources, and apart from less pay, what else does this mean?
    Would a state school be able to employ me as an OTT? or have I fallen into no man's land between the two systems?
    Looking forward to your helpful advice

  4. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    The main route has been via the GTP and this relies upon schools employing you while then following a QTS programme , being assessed and passing the skills tests. Some universities , such as Sunderland , seem to have done a deal with agencies who finmd the placements and then organise the GTP programme.Otherwise it depends upon the local GTP situation for places which is very variable throughout the country
  5. Hi Welshwizard,
    Thank you very much for this lead, I'll have to get in touch with the LEA of the area I'm moving to to see what they have on offer for GTP and then see if Notts Uni has done the same deal, but at least I know it's possiblt to get QTS later. Cheers!
    The GTP would allow me to start work at least, do you know if there's any "academic" part (i.e. assignments and theory) to the GTP, or is basically the skills work, subject knowledge, etc. alongside you're regular job on the placement?
    Thanks again!
  6. There is a route for QTS only which is the GTP and there may well be, in the furure, an assessment only route for QTS in schools, though that is a government proposal not yet adopted or legally possible. I would look at GTPO for gaining QTS.
  7. Hi James,
    Thank you for this. Do you know if there's an academic part to GTP, assignments, etc. or is it purely based on Teaching Practice?
    I've also seen SCITT, what's the difference between SCITT and GTP? I've looked at the TDA info on it, but I can't work out the difference as they both say school-based, on-the-job.
    Perhaps some of the new government's changes will benefit me eventually!?
  8. With some GTP courses it is possible to gain an academic qualification - this may cost as you nbeed to be registered as a student to gain the academic qualification. GTP routes are normnally QTS only though. SCITTs do often have links with universities and they will offer acdemic qualifications, but check with the SCITT.
  9. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    A UK based student would get a PGCE qualification if they passed the course AND the teaching practices but didn't manage to apss all three Skills tests (Literacy, Numeracy and ICT). It happens, believe you me!
    They wouldn't get QTS until they could pass the failed Skills test/s and there is now a limit on the number of times that they can re-sit them.
    The PGCE alone would not enable them to be employed as a qualified teacher.
    Private schools don't have to employ people with QTS but are selecting qualified teachers more now than in the past. Many private school Heads and older, experienced teachers do not have a teaching qualification; they were selected on their degree qualification, personality etc.
    Those who get QTS via the GTP in a UK school are not eligible for qualified teaching posts in certain countries overseas (new Zealand, for instance. They want the PGCE acquired QTS)

Share This Page