1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Gaining QTS with Australian qualifications.

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by jack_william, May 3, 2016.

  1. jack_william

    jack_william New commenter


    I'm currently studying a Graduate Diploma of Education (Primary) in Western Australia and coming up to the end of semester 1. I'm British and in Australia on a Student Visa, my course finishes in November and it's my intention (and has always been) to return to the UK after completing my teacher training.

    Before I came out to Australia, I checked UK government website guidance which said Australian teaching qualifications are transferable to the UK, it states:


    Teachers qualified in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA
    Teachers must apply to NCTL for the award of QTS before they can be recognised as qualified teachers.
    We will then verify that the individual is a fully qualified teacher in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and has not been barred from teaching. Subject to satisfactory completion of these checks, the teacher will be issued with a letter confirming the award of QTS. Details of fully qualified teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA will be held by us on the database of qualified teachers in England.

    Which wasn't a problem for me until recently when I checked the wording of the application form which you would use if you were having your Aussie qualification recognised by NCTL:

    • Evidence that you are recognised as a fully qualified teacher – this can be either:
      • if your recognising body allows on-line checks to be made of your teaching status you can provide the information required that will allow NCTL to make an online check
      • if an on-line check is not available then NCTL will require a letter from the recognised authority where you are recognised as a fully qualified teacher e.g. a territory’s department for education, or a state’s teacher registration board. The letter must confirm the following:
      • You have successfully completed a course of Initial Teacher Training (ITT) which is recognised by the competent authority in that country; and
      • You have successfully completed or satisfied any additional condition, including any period of professional experience comparable to an induction period, which are required for employment on a permanent basis in government schools; and
      • You are not barred or subject to any restrictions on your eligibility to teach in your country of qualification.
    And it was the section in bold that got me worried "You have successfully completed or satisfied any additional condition, including any period of professional experience comparable to an induction period, which are required for employment on a permanent basis in government schools".

    So I started to look into it and found several websites including this one which advises UK students wanted to study in Australia or NZ, it says: http://www.studyoptions.com/what-can-i-study/education-and-teaching

    In order to be eligible to transfer a teaching qualification back to the UK, students need to gain Full Registration in the country in which they completed their initial teacher training qualification. Just as in the UK, in order to gain Full Registration Australian and New Zealand-qualified teachers are required to teach for a certain amount of time in an education setting after completing their initial teaching qualification. It is important to bear this in mind when considering your course options.

    To gain Full Registration with the Teacher Registration Board WA you need to:
    To be eligible for the grant of Full Registration you must:
    • hold a teaching qualification from an accredited initial teacher education programme or a teaching qualification recognised by the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) as equivalent
    • be proficient to the prescribed standard in English, both oral and written
    • meet the Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia at the Proficient level
    • be a fit and proper person to be a registered teacher
    • have either taught for a minimum of 100 days in the 5 years prior to application in one or more educational venues in Western Australia or other Australian or New Zealand schools.
    I am on a Student Visa and have no working rights to stay in Australia after I complete my studies. (I've had a Working Holiday Visa in the past so that is not an option), there are no other visa options open to me for various reasons ranging from the fact I will be newly qualified and have no paid teaching experience to the fact my course is only 1 year and therefore not long enough to qualify for a graduate visa.

    I would just like to know if anybody else has been in a similar situation, I want to return to the UK, but not without being able to get QTS. There are several advantages to having QTS and without it I would just be an "unqualified teacher" in England and encounter problems in the years to come.

    I have an idea that I could gain my 100 days in New Zealand, on a Working Holiday Visa which would then allow me to gain Full Registration with TRBWA and subsequently be accepted for QTS in England.

    I'm just seeking advice as nobody at my university seems to be able to help me. I'm working really hard on this course and I have spent a lot of money to be here, I don't want it to all be for nothing.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    why don't you write to immigration and ask them about the dilemma you're in? they may have a solution for you. ask UK Naric if you can do the NZ route.
  3. jack_william

    jack_william New commenter

    Hi musikteech, thanks for your response. I intend to write to Australian immigration, the TRBWA, and the NCTL about my situation. I've not heard of Naric and after looking at their website think it would be a good idea to write to them too!
  4. maturepgcestudent

    maturepgcestudent New commenter

    As it happens I am in a very similar situation. I studied in Victoria and the main difference is I worked for two years in Victoria but unfortunately I am still only a provisional teacher. I worked as a classroom teacher in special Ed outside of my preferred area which is mainstream.

    I am now back in the UK doing supply teaching without QTS.
    Have you made any progress?
  5. Hi im in the same situation but luckily have am a Aussie resident now. However I still wish to return home to the UK and do my QTS. Did you find out if there was any way around it?
  6. mrsbowie

    mrsbowie New commenter

    Similar situation for me. Aussie degree and not 'fully qualified' but want to transfer registration to England. I want to do my NQT year under British registration... anyone having any luck with this :(
  7. saoghalbeag

    saoghalbeag New commenter

    This is an improvement on the bad old days when there was no recognition of full Aussie registration in UK, but you are in a rubbish situation. Wouldn't it be great if unis advised this when you applied, grrr!

    You could try to find a school in the UK who will let you do your NQT year? Or, you could try to find a school to sponsor you in Australia (e.g. go really rural. You're in WA - check out their recruitment programmes as they and the Northern Territory used to target overseas teachers for roles in remote areas).

    The NZ option could also work, but check the working holiday visa conditions to be sure you are allowed to work in a full-time role.

    Good luck!

Share This Page