1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaining QTS in the UK after completing a PGCEI overseas

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Jimmywalsh28, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Jimmywalsh28

Jimmywalsh28 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am looking for some advice. I have completed a PGCEI overseas and gained 2 years full time teaching experience. I have recently relocated back to the UK however as my relocation coincides with the school summer holidays I have been unable to find a school to continue my career in teaching.
    Having said that, I am aware that my PGCEI does not come with QTS so this has become a barrier for me in gaining employment.
    I have spoken with various companies in order to gain QTS, the outcome is that I would have to find employment within a school and then I could be entitled to apply for a QTS course, this is a 12 week observation only course which I assume will be an add on to my PGCEI awarding me with QTS.
    The issue is, every application I look at asks for QTS and DFE number which I do not have. Schools I have met with are prepared to support the process but not employ me which means I cannot apply for the QTS. I am literally stumped at what to do.
    I have applied for supply work in the meantime as an unqualified teacher.

Has anyone been through the same process and could share their journey or are there any schools who are familiar with the QTS 12 week observation only route who could advise me on what I would have to do to gain employment within a school?

I have considered supply work, work as a TA and voluntary positions. I really just want to be back in a classroom doing what I love to do.

Thank you for taking the time to read and if you respond with any advice then I am very grateful for your words.
    Jimmy.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You could try independent, free or academies, e.g. not maintained. This 12 week path to QTS is actually known as the Assessment Only QTS and you need a minimum of 2 years teaching in a UK school (you also need experience at 2 schools).

Go onto the Department of Education's website and there should be loads of infomation.

Good luck!

3. Missmfarag

Missmfarag New commenter

Hi jimmywalsh28, you could try popping your plan for gaining QTS via the AO route in your cover letter if you haven't done so already. The school that hires you have to agree to support you during your assessment period so need to be aware of your plan primarily.

For the AO route you need 2+ years in ANY school, not necessarily UK based. If you have only worked in 1 school for the duration of your career and then become employed within a school or academy in the UK (even voluntarily) and you're teaching at least 60% of an NQT's timetable then this counts as your 2nd school. I have checked this with several universities, they've said to apply to them for AO after a minimum 8 weeks of working at your 2nd school. Hope that helps!

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Both schools have to be within England/Wales to count, actually. I asked about whether a Northern Ireland secondary school would 'count', which didn't. fact, you would need to be working at both schools in the UK, and one of them at least two years. However, it may depend on the university in relation to the two-year rule - I found more established programmes such as the University of Greenwich require two years.

I'd advise you to contact providers on the government site to check out their requirements.

5. Missmfarag

Missmfarag New commenter

Leeds Trinity have told me that my school in Egypt would count as my first school (been here for 2 years and it's my only teaching experience) and that if I were to gain employment (voluntary or paid) within a UK based school I would be eligible to apply for the AO route with them after 8 weeks of work as they would then count this as my second school. Like you said it may be dependent on the university, ask around to see which one best suits your needs.