1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Gaining QTS after completing PGCEi?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by a_nofal, Dec 8, 2017.

  1. a_nofal

    a_nofal New commenter

    Hi guys,

    Long time reader; first time poster.

    I am currently working towards completing my PGCEi from Nottingham University. Whilst I completely understand that this alone does not confer QTS, I'd like to know if anyone went on to complete an NQT year abroad after their graduation from the PGCEi and now has QTS.

    I currently live in egypt and would prefer to stay and gain QTS here. I understand that that COBIS schools can now award QTS overseas so would a holder of a PGCEi be eligible for this scheme?

    Thank you all in advance for your help. I hope someone can give me some advice.
    kalayne1985 likes this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    Contact COBIS.
  3. TheSageOnTheStage

    TheSageOnTheStage New commenter

    Hi Nofal,

    I am also interested in how this would work. I completed my PGCEi a few years ago from Nottingham and would like to use it to gain QTS. I read over on the other forum (international school review) that it was possible to gain license to teach in one of the states in the U.S. using the PGCEi, and then the American teaching license could be used to successfully apply for QTS.

    Not sure if this is true though.

    I would also say that (depending on the subject), once you have the PGCEi and some experience teaching the subject, it might not matter a great deal as to whether you have QTS if you're planning on working in an international school.
  4. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Not 100% on this, but im sure someone wrote on here that its not all CORBIS schools, and only about 5 worldwide can actually do this. Like above post, contact CORBIS
  5. amariB

    amariB New commenter

    It is not the NQT year that gives you QTS. QTS is gained either by doing a PGCE (not PGCEi) or another route such as assessment only. The NQT year is a probationary year but you are already qualified on starting it. I'm not sure you'd even be able to start your NQT year without already having QTS. At least that's the way it used to be, perhaps things have changed in which case someone can correct me on this!
    yasf likes this.
  6. tjh102

    tjh102 Occasional commenter

    What you are looking at is completing an "assessment only" route to QTS. It takes about 12 weeks of gathering evidence and you have to complete the compulsory skills tests.

    I am not sure how many international schools would offer this.

    From my experience, it would be worth gaining QTS. Several schools in Asia have stopped recognising the Nottingham PGCEi because of the lack of observations etc.
    yasf likes this.
  7. Pat10

    Pat10 New commenter

    Hello, I'm not sure about doing this abroad but I did return to the UK, after completing a PGCEi, to then gain QTS though assessment only route. Would be happy to help - any questions PM.
    kalayne1985 and tjh102 like this.
  8. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    I gained QTS while teaching abroad, via the assessment-only route - so let me know if you have questions about this.
    Note however that it will probably take longer than 12 weeks - and that you need to have taught for a minimum of 2 years before you are eligible for the AO route.
  9. Hi Angelil, would it be possible to have some information on gaining the QTS while abroad. I have recently completed my PGCEi, and I am wondering what type of school you would need to teach in, how much it costs and any other relevant criteria. Thanks!
    CLIFFORD-MIRANDA and lynn520v like this.
  10. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    Hi Tessiturtle

    It is of course always easier in an affiliated school that is geared up to support you (e.g. a school linked to COBIS) but really all you need to gain QTS via the AO route is a member of staff in your school who already possesses QTS and is willing to act as your mentor.
    Costs, criteria etc can be found on (for example) the Educators Abroad website but if I recall correctly you need a minimum of two years' full-time experience to qualify for the AO route.

    Do let me know if you have any further questions :)
    lynn520v likes this.
  11. Capricorn2412

    Capricorn2412 New commenter

    You could also consider applying for QTLS (if you teach age 14 and above) through SET. Once received QTLS is recognised as equivalent to QTS in terms of seeking employment in state schools. You have to produce an online portfolio and it can be completed overseas.
  12. Hello,

    Would you be able to provide some more information about how you did this? I have been teaching in Thailand since 2009. I completed my PGCEi course in 2017. I am looking at moving back to the UK to get my QTS. Does my time in schools abroad qualify as the experience required for the AO route or does it need to be completed in a UK school?
    franklinwilson805 likes this.
  13. Hi, my husband and I are thinking of doing the same, would you mind sharing some information as how and where you find the school to support you? Thanks a lot!
  14. C25

    C25 New commenter


    I'm really keen to chat to you about the PGCEI. So I'm currently teaching in Dubai and want to return to the UK next year (after 2 years teaching business studies) I want to be able to teach in UK colleges so I'm wondering if the PGCEi would benefit my CV, I know it doesn't give me QTS but would you recommend that it would help me to gain QTS for the UK?

    I just don't want it to be a waste of money. Any help and advice would be really appreciated
  15. crisitnarinaldi

    crisitnarinaldi New commenter

  16. crisitnarinaldi

    crisitnarinaldi New commenter

    I have a bachelor of child and family studies from Australia and am currently working in an international school of Milan... would you know how I might be able to register for PGCE and QTS online.

    Thank you for your help and attention to my enquiry.
  17. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    You're probably best looking at attaining QTLS. It's the equivalent of QTS, and was set up for those Further Education teachers that didn't used to have QTS, but which would allow them to be eligible to work in schools. I think now it's available to those teachers that are eligible (with a teaching certification such as PGCE, but there might be other routes) and who are working in a schools teaching those from 14 years and up. Details below:

  18. Capricorn2412

    Capricorn2412 New commenter

    To add to @Mickyd197se I have recently checked with SET and they insist that a teaching programme must include observed teaching practice so a distance PGCEi would not be acceptable. I had checked for Keele and Nottingham.
  19. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    Sorry to have only seen this now. To get QTS you would still need to travel to the UK at some point in order to complete the skills tests (there is no facility yet to do this online) and complete the legal minimum of 2 weeks' placement in a UK school. There is no way around this at present. The rest of the assessments could however be completed remotely in your school in Milan (compiling the portfolio etc).
    Online PGCEs typically do not give QTS.
  20. Cy50r5forV

    Cy50r5forV New commenter

Share This Page