1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaining QTLS - how easy, once finished PGCE (post 16)?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by shirtandtie, May 13, 2011.

1. That's because it's not a very good site.
    Yes. QTLS is a post qualification 'professional' status. I would be surprised if anyone could achieve it within the first two years of full time teaching.
    NB You will have five years to apply after becoming qualified.

2. You could still apply after a couple of years even part time. You just have to show you have gained experience and CPD since certification!

3. I was told gaining QTLS via voluntary work would be ok! I've no intention of working full-time or for free but it may have to be the case for a while. I do not want to waste 3,000 then have to pay 9,000 at a later date.
    I am thinking ahead of the job situation- still not worked out QTLS yet!

4. Yes - it's really difficult. I had to go to the home page, click on 'CPD and Careers' to find this link: <u>'Gaining QTLS or ATLS'</u>
    Hopeless site, took me at least 15 seconds to find it - what good is that?

5. A colleague completed their QTLS/ Professional Formation whilst working in an FE College part-time so it seems it is possible. She taught part-time whilst studying part-time for 2 years and then applied the year she had completed. It would have been within 6 months if she'd had the time to trawl through the paperwork as that is all it appears to be really!
    I'm hoping to complete mine in my first year of teaching post-PGCE.

6. Just thought I'd add a few lines to this. I was awarded QTLS a few weeks ago, despite the fact that at the time of my application I'd been teaching in a school for just one term and an FE college for a matter of weeks. I worked really hard on it and tried to use all my PGCE secondary knowledge and adapt it to FE. I also did LLUK orientation and used my notes for that as evidence. It was no bother, really and I know someone else who did hers in her first year too.
    I'm not trying to discredit what The Pobble said (from the quality of their posts, they seem about a million times more knowledgeable than me about teaching) but I'd be inclined to give it a shot ASAP. Because even if you're rejected, you'll get feedback on where to improve and can presumably re-use your evidence.
    P.s. In case you hadn't figured it out, professional formation is very, very, very, very tedious. Times 10. And the folks at the IFL will give you dodgy information so it's worth phoning back to check if they don't sound sure of themselves or ask someone else.

7. Well I'll be.....
    That goes against all their blurb, their ethos, their insistance that they actually do something other than rubber stamp certification that they have no input into or control over!
    I shall certainly not be paying them a fee now!!
    I don't mean to disparage you in any way bobbie - just the IfL. If you can get QTLS without the experience and standards they shout about good for you!
    But your experience certainly gives them the lie!

8. Pobble, I hate to do this but on this occasion, I also have to disagree with you. My colleague got QTLS as an NQT last year. Both of us found the process of professional formation straight forward if a pain in the bum, not only because the 'guidelines' are vague (anything goes as evidence and statements it seems)butalso in my case because the managers I've asked to write a supporting statement for me know sweet FA about what the whole process is about! My previous line manager promised to do this last year but never actually got round to it and my current one is mithering about whether there is a 'college procedure' for filling it in! *sigh!*
    My advice to the original OP is to therefore read the documents and reflect prof essional formation questions carefully, use as much as you can from the stuff like this (and tips from the statements of those who got it and were kind enough to share them with you) that you've done on your PGCE and CV and pray that your line manager (or other referee) actually knows what he/she is supposed to do for the supporting statement. Otherwise, you'll be training them as some of my other colleagues who have just got it have had to do!
    Good luck!

9. Hey, you're not disagreeing with me, I was just dumb enough to believe what IfL said QTLS is and how it is gained!
    I should have known better....

10. I'm as stunned as Pobble. I never thought QTLS was up to much. I'm not even a fan of QTS.
    But it is truly meaningless if it can be gained after a few weeks teaching experience.

11. It does begger belief, doesn't it?
    I believe we have been sold a pup and I am considering complaining about it - prior to shouting about whatever 'joint statement' is made about fees.

12. I forgot to follow this forum so I hadn't seen this message!
    I have done more than the required CPD over the last 2 years of teaching. I have been working full time and studying PGCE on an evening so I've had plenty of experience- enough to apply apparently anyway!
    My friend has been accepted but the application took some time- sounds like a lengthy process but fairly straightforward- giving evidence of everything completed. It is quite confusing to identify what they require- my current institution even provide CPD where they help you to complete it/ clarify what's needed. I wish IfL would just listen to us and improve their services and then we'd all be much happier- but we're getting to whole different debate there!

13. No teaching cert and doing QTLS??
    Do you mean you are doing a PGCE or PTTLS CTTLS or DTTLS?

If so then you need to complete it and then apply for QTLS which is not automatically awarded on completion of the teaching certificate - even though most people seem to be told that it is!

14. Hi Mrs Khan
    I'm also confused. By writing that you're teaching KS1/2/3 as well as GCSE Maths and English I assume that you're working in a school. If this is the case, you should be doing a course which leads to QTS-qualified teacher status, like the GTP-Graduate teacher programme or a PGCE primary or secondary in a subject area, not an FE teaching qualification as this is for post 16 teaching in colleges and independent schools. Although the law has changed so that FE teachers with QTLS (qualified teacher learning and skills) can work in a school, if this isn't your situation, most schools will prefer you to have a primary or secondary teaching qualificationas I said earlier. Based on the current job situation, I'd recommend that you do that if that's not what you're already doing, as some agencies and school employers aren't aware of this change yet and will ask you questions about why a school teacher has FE teaching qualifications.
    If I've got your situation wrong and therefore sound patronising, I totally apologise and would say instead that I think one of us is mixing up what type of course you're doing and therefore whether you're going for QTS or QTLS. Also, you can't get QTS or QTLS without some kind of teaching qualification, as QTS and QTLS aren't teacher training courses, they are 'statuses' (for want of a better word-I won't repeat the whole debate again) . It's the law of the land!