1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaining Additional Qualification

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DrJay, Jan 17, 2016.

1. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I teach religious studies (KS 3-4) and sociology (KS5). My qualifications (including a PhD) are in the former. Although, I do not hold any qualifications in Sociology, I encountered sociological theorists (Durkheim, Marx, Durkheim, Weber, Mead, Simmel, Freud, Habermas, Adorno, Marcuse, Parsons, Merton, etc.,) and their sociological theorisations within religious studies. As I enjoy teaching A Level Sociology, I enrolled on MA Sociology with a view to: (a) filling any gaps in my knowledge of the field; and, (b) allowing me the flexibility to seek teaching position in either field, especially at KS5 in a school’s setting. Given my existing qualifications, I wish to exit the MA after completing all the modules and then earn a PGDip in Sociology rather than the full MA. The sole reason for this is because I simply do not want to pay the dissertation fee (£1800).

Now to my question: Is it advisable to exit the course by earning a PGDip or should I take the full MA? Which of these (PGDip or MA) would appeal more to SLTs?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done there for taking on those extra studies! Quite a commitment while you are also working.

As to your question - I really cannot say. The most important thing, I should imagine, is that you have the content covered. And that you have showed your commitment to personal and professional development.

My feelings also are that this is going to be a very minor issue. There are very few schools offering Sociology A-level, and I should imagine even fewer who have a full timetable of Sociology to offer. So the Sociology would be an extra that you could offer when applying for a RS post.

The Sociology wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Of course in a college with a strong A-level cohort, there would be more chance of more Sociology.

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.