1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaining a QTS through GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lievcin, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm planning on starting a GTP in Sept 2012. At the moment I'm in the process of gathering my documents,
    doing lots of research on schools and preparing letters... i suppose all the usual stuff.

However i've seen a couple of posts out there of people saying that although they completed their GTP,
    they don't have a QTS, which left me quite confused.

Can someone who has gone through the GTP please outline what the process looks like from start to
    finish? I understand there might be some specifics from school to school, but overall i presume the process
    looks similar.

Are there tests mid-way or at the end? some other form of assess your progress? What do you need to
    meet in order to pass if there is such thing?

Thanks a lot for your help, i just want to be prepared and know what will be expected of me, as sometimes
    websites don't tell you how it really happens on the ground.

Lievcin

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTS involves meeting the standards as part of an Initial Teacher Training programme either at university through PGCE or through the GTP based in schools.The standards are exactly the same for whichever programme. In addition you will have to sit and pass 3 skills tests in English, maths and ICT. At the end of the programme the university recommends you for QTS to the GTCE who issue a certificate and maintain a register of qualified teachers. The QTS standards are on the TDA website.
    The actual delivery of the programme will vary depending on the provider in some cases you attend university for a period followed by school in others univerity is a regular day a week. The assesments again vary but expect assignments, research and observation of your teaching practice.Usually their websites outline the main features of their programmes and with some providers a PGCE programme is also followed as part of GTP.
    Check out your local providers details again on tda website

3. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

My niece did GTP and thought it was a good way into teaching - she felt she did a lot more teaching than she would have done with a PGCE, obviously she got paid for doing it, and she felt it was very valuable. It was hard work - lots of written work to do for portfolio, courses to attend, etc. But she qualified, did an NQT year and has now taught for almost 10 years - is top of MPS. HOWEVER - she and her husband are looking at moving abroad and she has discovered that GTP is not recognised in Oz, NZ, Canada, etc. Neither is it, ridiculously, recognised in Scotland. So a friend of hers who has taught for years in England has just moved to Edinburgh and found that despite being registered with the GTC in England, having a Dfes No, etc that she cannot legally teach in Scotland as she is told she is unqualified. So I would just beware of this if you ever wanted to move abroad. A PGCE is internationally recognised - a GTP or Teach First is not.