1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Gained QTS during the school year, does that mean I change pay scales immediately?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sedaris, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. Hi all,
    To give a little background: I am an overseas qualified teacher who luckily got a permanent placement in a school last September. My salary was on the Unqualified teacher pay scales (with an extra little because of my experience overseas) when I started. Recently, I completed the OTT program I was on and received QTS. My question is: should my salary change now to reflect this change in my status or will in change for the next school year?
    Thanks for any help!
  2. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    You should now move over to the qualified scale technically starting on M1, though if your school are generous they may chose to place you on M2.
  3. Thanks for the reply, Further to that, would my previous 5 years teaching experience overseas and my now 2 years in England (one as a supply teacher) count at all? Or is that only if the school is generous?
  4. only if the school is very generous. my friend had 15 years experience overseas and was put on M2 in her first year in the UK......
  5. The school should place you at the nearest point to the unqualified teachers salary you are currently getting. For example, if you are currently on UQT6 you should now be placed on M3 as that is nearest to your current salary.
    I believe this is actually stated in the STPCD so shouldn't rely on a school being generous. I think that recognising overseas experience is dicretionary though when first placing you on the unqualified teacher's scale.

  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Correct! You move to the point on the Qualified scale that pays you more than your current Unqualified pay. The move should happen as soon as you OFFICIALLY get QTS (that's often later than the date when you are told that you have met requirements to gain QTS. Your ITT provider -the school in your case- recommend QTS and the GTC, on behalf of the Dept of Education, will make the actual decision to award QTS).
    The M point just above your unqualified pay is the minimum. You could ask for consideration of your past experience and be placed higher on the M scale.


Share This Page