1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggh!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does the filter work on German swear words?

***!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have you tried The Sale of Goods Act - or at least quoting "fit for purpose".
    When Halfords tried on all that repair nonsense for a brand new satnav (company policy etc) I used the 'fit for purpose' argument from the SoGA.
    Clearly your dongle is not fit for purpose and should be replaced by a new one.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

4. I agree with seren ... If they do nt replace (which I would expect) they should provide an alternative during the repair period

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sale of Goods & Services Act = Replace or refund if not 'as described' or 'fit for purpose'. Repairs, credit notes, excuses, company policy all b*llocks. For instant refund mention the two magic words - 'Trading Standards'.

6. Unless of course the dongle is part of a contract. I'm pretty sure that when you are paying a monthly contract where the dongle comes as part of it there are clauses in the contract about faults with them ie they will repair rather than replace. If you have signed the contract then trade standards would be completely irrelevant.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I've had similar issues with Vodafone and my mobile. They tried selling me the "if you'd had insurance we'd have given you a loan phone' line.
    The key bit of SOGA is that replacements and repairs must be done without significant inconvenience to you. I'd say that being without internet connection was significantly inconvenient if for more than a day or two, and so they need to be providing you with some sort of alternative.
    I found the people at Consumer Direct very useful in giving the full details of the legislation to quote, etc.
    www.consumerdirect.gov.uk
    (If you do ring them, you can use http://www.saynoto0870.com/ to find their standard rate numbers if you get them free in some sort of phone package)