1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

G4S

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35302948

Part of me wonders why we are running around with petitions banning Trump when the government are still awarding G4S contracts and nobody seems to bat an eyelid. Yes, suspend and investigate individuals but the real question is why G4S don't have systems in place to prevent such conduct or at least deal with it in a timeous manner rather needing Panorama to point out the problem.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What shocked me was the downright thuggery of some of the staff. Holding someone by the throat so that they fight for their lives while being told to calm down is not a clever move. It gives the thug an excuse to increase the pressure!!

G4S have already lost a contract for bullying amongst other things. Prison service is a difficult job but it's not an excuse for the excesses seen on Panorama.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Hiding from the cameras was what got me. Lord knows teenagers in mainstream are enough to drive you extremes at times so it cannot be an easy job but these were not cases of momentarily losing their temper or accidentally going too far.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You should have been with me at Kirklevington Detention Centre. Yarm. in 1975. You were walked in from the meat wagon and got kicked and beaten the length of the reception centre and back.

And that was before they even read your transport notes.

Same at Risley in 1976 and Strangeways in early 1977.

I won't tell you what went on at Stoke Heath Borstal.

Get real. It's been going on for years.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

From what I can see they do have systems in place that should prevent such conduct.
    Te problem appears to be that not only were they not adhered to but that they were actively circumvented.
    Whilst that shouldn't be possible nowadays, it clearly still is.