1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

G.P. appointments

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by houserabbit, May 30, 2012.

1. Although I share your viewpoint about abuse of our resources being behind certain policies being introduced, I think that you've made some generalisations in your posts on this topic without being aware of the full circumstances surrounding the need for people to consult their GPs.
    Of course, there are those who abuse the system! However, in many cases people don't know whether their conditions are trivial and/ or self limiting as you put it until they actually speak to the GP. Better to check and be on the safe side then not all!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh come on - the number of people who go to the doctor when they have a cold is absurd!

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Our NHS is creaking at the seams. We can't afford for people with coughs and colds to be running to their GP at every opportunity.

4. Of course not! I agree with you! All I'm saying is that I think that you're exaggerating how many people are abusing the system!

5. How do you know that's all that's wrong with them?

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well largely because they say they have got a cold (except they normally say it's the 'flu), the doctor says they have a cold (except the doctor phrases it as a virus), and they get better in a few days.