1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

G.C.S.E in maths/english

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tamtams, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

How many of you lovely TA's have moved from primary/junior schools to high schools without having these qualifications. I have applied to a high school for a level 2 Ta position even though I don't have the above. I do have Ta level 3 cache, and a good knowledge of the above subjects. Can't check their criteria as they sent me a teachers application pack by mistake, I phonend them to explain that I was sent the wrong forms, so they just advised me to download a application form of the local lea web site as this would be quicker than waiting for new forms to arrive and could possibly miss the closing date. I am in the process of sitting adult numeracy/literacy L1 and 2, what do you think my chances are of them even inviting me for interview, my application form has been checked by a family member who is a teacher at a high school she says it's fine so just go for it, and attach a short note stating the error that was made, and that I have tried to match my criteria to what I think their needs would be, but obviously I cannot be certain this is correct as I didn't have the correct info in the first place.Would be interested on you views please. Thank you.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

How many of you lovely TA's have moved from primary/junior schools to high schools without having these qualifications. I have applied to a high school for a level 2 Ta position even though I don't have the above. I do have Ta level 3 cache, and a good knowledge of the above subjects. Can't check their criteria as they sent me a teachers application pack by mistake, I phonend them to explain that I was sent the wrong forms, so they just advised me to download a application form of the local lea web site as this would be quicker than waiting for new forms to arrive and could possibly miss the closing date. I am in the process of sitting adult numeracy/literacy L1 and 2, what do you think my chances are of them even inviting me for interview, my application form has been checked by a family member who is a teacher at a high school she says it's fine so just go for it, and attach a short note stating the error that was made, and that I have tried to match my criteria to what I think their needs would be, but obviously I cannot be certain this is correct as I didn't have the correct info in the first place.Would be interested on you views please. Thank you.

3. Hi tamtams, as far as I know it isn't essential to have those qualifications, but all you can ask yourself really is how confident you feel supporting at secondary level. It would depend on the job of course but if you are providing support in GCSE maths for example then you need to feel confident that you can give it!

Good luck. x

4. So are there TAs working in primary schools without a G.C.S.E. at C grade in Maths or English?

5. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

yes there is, I am obviously one of them, but I do have a very good knowledge.

6. tamtams

Forgive me- you caught me on a raw spot. It gets my goat when people assume that you don't need a basic education to work in primary but you do in secondary.

I feel it sort of puts primary down and I know that was not your intention.

I feel the fact that you are about to sit adult numeracy and literacy and you have Level 3 CACHE are all in your favour.

It will just depend upon who else applies.

I am sorry they have messed you around over the application pack because this puts you at a disadvantage, not being able to match your skills to the person/job spec.

I remember that you had that very demanding interview earlier in the month and the post went to an internal candidate, so even though it was for a different age group you have current knowledge of filling in forms and talking to interview panels.

The very best of luck with your application.

7. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hedda Gabler
    Thank you.

8. Yes good luck with your application I have worked in Primary and Secondary schools for the last few years and I do not have Maths GCSE.

All the best

9. Would never employ a TA in my (primary) unit without Maths and English at GCSE A-C. Can't understand why this is considered less important in primary where you are involved in teaching basic skills on a daily basis.

10. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi nzdoc
    Yes I taught it on a daily basis. There were 25 Ta's in my last school and only 3 have their GCSE's in literacy and numeracy, not having these qualifications obviously isn't that much of a necessity. but obviously having a very good knowledge is of importance which most of us do have. I do know lots of other Ta's at other schools who also do not have these qualifications either, and they teach these subjects very well. In my area when vacancies arise under the heading Essential Criteria it just states a good sound knowledge of these subjects is required, but obviously having these qualifiactions is a bonus.

11. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

As I was not educated in England this is a genuine question and not having a 'knock' at anyone - but isn't it obligatory in England to sit GCSE in both English and Maths?
    I do appreciate that TAs of my age and above probably pre-date the GCSE system - some will probably be old enough to have left school at 15 before taking any exams - but I thought that there was always a requirement to sit certain subjects.

12. I'm sure you do a great job - but, if basic maths and English GCSE are not a requirement, how do schools ensure that people do have 'good knowledge'?

At the risk of being shot by some lovely TAs, I still say that these qualifications are an absolute minimum requirement. If TAs have a 'good knowledge' then is it really too much of a chore to sit the exams to prove it?

Rek

13. So let me get this straight..

It's a **** job.. with **** pay.. in an extremely undervalued roll.. that you usually have to work for years totally free of charge before even being considered for a chance of a paid post.. that most schools require you to have a level 3 NVQ.. and now you are also required to jump through hoops with GCSE qualifications.

Just remind me again why anyone in their right mind would want to be a TA!

14. Because it is an amazingly fantastic thing to be!

It's the only job I've had where I have *never* not wanted to get out of bed in the morning to go to work.

15. I don't have either, I got a grade 1 in English CSE (showing my age) which is equivalent to a GCSE but to 'prove' myself I recently sat the Adult Numeracy and Literacy L2 tests. I felt it wrong that I was 'teaching' children without confirmation of my competency to do so.

As the roles have changed over the years (from pot washing in some cases!) I think there should be a minumum requirement whichever key stage you work in.

16. I agree about the pay issue but without wishing to sound pompous about it I think children DESERVE to be educated by adults with what is, let's face it, a very basic level of education themselves. Maybe if this were made a requirement it would result in a much better salary structure for TAs. We learned our lesson when we employed a TA who supposedly had an NVQ in learning support but no GCSEs- her standard of literacy was so low that she could not write in home school books or fill in records of progress in foundation stage.

17. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

I can see all points of view here,that is why I am in the process of sitting my adult numeracy and literacy level 2 to prove my knowledge, as this will I feel become an essential criteria across the board for all schools eventually.

18. I too pre-date GCSE's, I have both English Lit/Lang O levels but failed dismally at Maths so recently sat the Adult numeracy. (Have discussed on a previous thread how I was made to feel like a complete failure in primary school)

I dare say I'm putting my head above the parapet here but I don't think it was an actual requirement for teachers to have O level maths/english a couple of decades ago.

Also genuine query this, when was the old Teaching Certificate phased out and would there be any teachers still teaching with it.

*Ducks out quickly whilst head still on shoulders!*

19. There couldn't possibly be any connection between your 'failure' at primary and the fact that teachers weren't then required to have basic Maths and English, could there?

20. I had not connected the two. My complete failure at maths was nothing to do with the teacher's ability to teach, or her qualifications, it was her ability to humiliate with sarcastic comments that destroyed any confidence I had in numbers!