1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

G and T provision at VI Form

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ceepsprice, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ceepsprice

ceepsprice New commenter

Good evening all, I was wondering whether anyone is at a sixth form where there is good G and T provision. I want to improve our programme next year with plenty of opportunities for visits, extended projects, maybe the AQA bacc, a lecture programme ...
    Does anyone have any ideas I could use? I would like to work on ideas for the programme over this half term and the summer.
    Many thanks in advance for any replies.

2. ceepsprice

ceepsprice New commenter

Good evening all, I was wondering whether anyone is at a sixth form where there is good G and T provision. I want to improve our programme next year with plenty of opportunities for visits, extended projects, maybe the AQA bacc, a lecture programme ...
    Does anyone have any ideas I could use? I would like to work on ideas for the programme over this half term and the summer.
    Many thanks in advance for any replies.

3. We never get offered G & T, and no hint of ice or slice.

4. ceepsprice
    I have asked for help/ideas in exactly this area - you may have seen my posts and the resounding lack of response!
    If I hear anything I'll let you know!

5. Hi Ceepsprice,
    Does your local university offer extension courses? Bristol has the Access to Bristol scheme where students can attend university style subjects and even have mini graduations.
    Also the open university offers the YASS (http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/yass/)
    Which again allows able students to start experiencing university education.
    For your lecture program have you included speakers from an oxbridge college? Both Cambridge and Oxford divide between the colleges. Find out which one represents your area. Get someone in or go visit.
    EPQ are good but quite labour intensive and would require training.
    I have to say having a generic program for G&T students at Post 16 is diffcult. What I do is identify the top, say 10 students, then ask them what they want to do in the future. Then look out for open days, courses, events specific for them. Maybe a student who wants to study for law, well look out for days where they can attend an invent at a barristers chambers.
    Or Mathematicians attending a maths event / day. Chemistry taking part in national competitions.
    Anyway hope that helps!

6. Is that really all there is to it, speacock?
    I think we already do all that and I'd hate to just pul it altogether into a 'see what we do' document and call it quits.
    Then again, if that really is all there is to it then I can focus on the less able instead [​IMG]

7. The Pobble not quite sure how to take that. Like I said I hope it all helps.

8. Take it as an audible sigh of relief, speacock! I felt immeasurably better once I had read your post, it did indeed help.
    I think if I formalise the paperwork acknowledging what already exists I can then focus on the less able students, possibly!

9. Yeah, I actually know what you mean. I visited an 'outstanding' school recently and it really helped to see that we do exactly what they do!
    Good luck with it.