1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

G&T in design and technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by wilbertwilliamson, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi, as an NQT in a small department I am unsure as to how to cater for G&T students in D&T. We have many on the register but have not assessed any student for D&T. So if they are for example G&T in maths or music how do I show I am catering for them in my D&T subject at secondary level. Any advice on how we in D&T can pin point a G&T student from a "bright" student or an already G&T in a different subject would also be appreciated. Many thanks xx

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Its very difficult in DT and depends on the GnT criteria you use.
    Dont be fooled either, I've had GnT students in Maths and English who simply don't posess the motor skills to make them even slightly impressive in DT, similarly (and i know its a cliche) you will/may find that you get students who are SEN statemented for core subjects who excell in DT. I actually had a stand up row with one of SLT because i identified a GT student in Tech who was failing everywhere else. Eventually he came out with a series of Es Fs the odd D and a nice shiny A in DT at GCSE.
    For me, the first step would be to sit down as a department and set up some criteria that you will use to identify the GT students in your subject/s. stick close to the guidelines that other subjects use then nobody can criticise you.
    Once you've identified the GT you can cater for them.
    DONT BE TOO INTERESTED IN OTHER SUBJECTS' ASSESMENT OF THE PUPILS. DT IS A WEIRD SUBJECT FOR G&T.

pedro