1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Futurism

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by hamjam, Mar 12, 2012.

1. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Good afternoon,
    I have been asked to do a 20 minute lesson on an introduction to futurism or a futurist artist, as part of an interview. I have been looking at the forum and search engines for ideas but with no luck.
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you,
    Ben

2. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Good afternoon,
    I have been asked to do a 20 minute lesson on an introduction to futurism or a futurist artist, as part of an interview. I have been looking at the forum and search engines for ideas but with no luck.
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you,
    Ben

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

There was also a Futurism movement in Music. 'Corale' is good to use: http://www.thereminvox.com/filemanager/list/12/
    Ask students the connection between the images and the music and what they think the movement 'Futurism' was all about. A pile of mechanical objects and machine/ car parts could be used in an experimental drawing activity?

4. kids love robots!

Get them to look at Umberto Boccioni's Unique Forms of Continuity in Space and discuss mechanics, movement and simplification of form - look at how robots are like simplified human shapes.
    Then get them to design their own! they could collage them out of bits of cardboard and textured paper, etc. and create a relief one The key is to focus on a sense of movement so gee them some tips on how they can achieve that - perhaps lengths of string for 'movement lines' or a multitude of arms/legs.....

The only thing is, (i just realised your restrictions) that this would take longer than 20 minutes...

How about give them a robot template and get them to use materials to make it look futuristic and moving?

Or look at Natalia Goncharova, Cyclist, 1913 and and 'Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash', Giacomo Balla. How about doing a quick photography lesson and using slow shutter speeds to capture movement - would require the resources of course.

Or draw a wooden figure three times over the top - in different colours or with continuous line and ballpoint pen - the result will create the illusion of movement and the technical skill used - flowing line - also suggests movement. also, a modern moving object, rather than a wooden man, would link in better, but I can't think of something suitable and small to draw....

Anyway, hope that helps!

Esther

5. Start them off by looking at a IWB PPT/Colour copies of Selected Futurists Art. "Nude decending Stairs" Duchamps or " Girl Running on Balcony" by Balla
    Discuss movement and how its captured Link to Ed Mybridge early photos PPT/IWB
    Have a" CSI" style chalk outline image which they can trace over with photo copy paper and like old cell style annimation have them capture movement linking back to original starting point.
    Back this with links to Olympic pictograms and stick figures drawing. and back to the futurist movement.
    HW to finish using colours Warm/cool/patterns/sports teams etc..
    That should give you the chance to show off your prior knowledge of the topic, use of ICT and have the students creating something all in 20 minutes.
    Its a bit tough to squeeze all that in 20 minutes but you could provide documentation an how you would develop the idea further and leave that with them.
    Good Luck

6. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Thank you so much for the help!!
    Ben

7. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Thank you so much for the help!
    Ben