1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future skills video

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Maths_Mike, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Can anyone remember a gouvernment produced video on the skills and jobs likely to be available in the future - or have any other ideas for an 8 minute presentation to year 9 as part of an options assembly

I know maths is compulsory - dont ask me why i have to do options assembly - but i do!

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Can anyone remember a gouvernment produced video on the skills and jobs likely to be available in the future - or have any other ideas for an 8 minute presentation to year 9 as part of an options assembly

I know maths is compulsory - dont ask me why i have to do options assembly - but i do!

3. not quite what you mean, but I remember a futureshock video (can't recall the exact name) where it showed that there will be more graduates in India and China with degrees who can speak English than there are in the UK. Each year!

4. Presumably the awful "Shift Happens" ?

5. DM

DM New commenter

Or one of the numerous spin-offs or parodies?

6. I was quite taken with shift happens. as it happens.

7. Is there one featuring Downfall' ?

8. That 'Shift Happens' video IMO is dreadful, so gloomy!

Come on guys, chill out. UK university education departments are full of students from the Far East, we will export our crazy ideas about education to them and then they will be just as bad as us;)

9. Like it sara.
    Not sure we will export it. Jus write an app on an ipad and email it.

10. DM

DM New commenter

Almost certainly but I'm using a computer the size of a postage stamp now so can't be bothered to look.

11. What's the problem with shift happens?
    It could be a bit depressing I suppose, but it could be motivating to get qualified?

12. I found the part about the decline of the UK from 1900 particularly offensive, considering that if the UK hadn't fought WW2 then the world would be a very different place today.

13. Please don't make me watch it again ...
    The comments below are based on what I remember - I won't be quoting verbatim because I don't want to sit through it!
    "If Facebook were a country it would be the 5th largest in the world" (or something similar). Huh? So what? If all of the Manchester Utd football fans in the world were a country then they would be bigger than Germany. If all the people who own a Delia Smith cookbook were a country ... if everyone who had a beer at the weekend ... if everyone who owns a computer ... or a mobile phone ... or who know someone called "Bob" ...
    "So by the time most students reach the end of a three year degree the things they learned in the first year will be obsolete." Huh? No they won't. Let's pick a few subjects and try that idea out for size: Mathematics degrees - complex analysis, group theory, etc will all be out of date. Science degrees - relativity? - out of date. History degrees - all that stuff about WW2, the Crusades, 1066 - all completely out of date ([​IMG]). Geography degree - plate tectonics will be old hat. MFL degrees - hadn't you heard that Spanish is due to expire in 2015? Computing degrees - no-one will be programming in C++ any more. Really?
    "There will be more people in china with a degree than we have people. full stop." And most of them will stay in China. And they really won't be scary. And getting the lazy oiks in Yr 10 set 9 to do a bit more work won't affect how well people with an obsolete degree in something obsolete like computer programming at all.
    Why else don't I like "Shift Happens"? It's a PowerPoint presentation. Set to music. Nuff said.
    Oh - and it's called, cough, snigger, smirk: "ShiFt Happens". Ho ho. Do you see what I did there? It's nearly rude! It's like a down-with-da-kids expression that normally can't be used in the classroom. 'Cept it's got an extra F in it! How wicked is that!?! How cool am I - thinking up such a 'street' name for it! Lol !

Apart from all that I suppose it's OK. [​IMG]

14. Yep. I agree about WW2.
    I had forgotten about this section of the film. Egypt was once the pre-eminent nation in the world. Then it was Greece's turn for a bit until the Romans got going. After the decline and fall things got a bit depressing (what with the Goths and all - too much black make-up) until Spain and Portugal carved up the Americas. Then it was on to the good old British Empire ("good" unless you happened to be a slave, obviously). But since WW2 it has been the USA in the box seat. Next will presumably be China#.
    This is just how the world works. You could say, in fact, that "Shift Happens".
    [ # unless those Delia Smith fans get their act together and declare independence - then it could Deliapolis ruling the universe!]

15. Thanks to Nazard for expressing what I would have done had I not been so tired. Agree with all you say.

16. And who knows if it will be China's century? Hands up all those who saw the events in the Middle East coming? Or going back a bit, who would have thought that former Eastern Block countries would now be in the EU? Maybe China will break up into little pieces and fade from the world stage, who knows?

I think one of the emotions I disliked the most about the video was that the future would be all about technology and information. IMO there will always be a place for people skills in the world and without those the other things will come to nothing. The video was very 1984 to me.

17. "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

18. Quite so.

The other thought that came to mind was that information is spreading rather like kipple and that the world is moving to a state of kipplization.

19. "No one can win against kipple."
    Ah - Philip K. - what an author!