1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future prospects of teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by missag1, Sep 29, 2018.

1. missag1

missag1 New commenter

Hello!!

I am currently studying my PGCE in primary education. I am not sure if it is possible to complete my NQT year in Dubai otherwise after my NQT year, I would like to move out to Dubai and be a primary school teacher out there. I know this is early however I would like to know what the processes are when applying for a job, finding accomodation, etc.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

You are unlikely to be considered by any school worth their salt, until you have at least 2 years experience.

In addition, Dubai is one of the most popular choices for young people wanting to move overseas. You will be competing against many people with a lot more experience

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

BTW, I suggest you change your moniker from, what I presume is, your real name.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I would say you probably could get a job without the 2 years experience, but there's a good chance that it would be a job you'd regret taking - low salary, low benefits, lots of pressure at work.

I think people have said on here that it is possible to do your NQT year here in a COBIS school - so maybe contact some directly?

missag1 likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Some countries are now making it compulsory to have completed 2 years post teacher qualification before issuing a visa.

As stated the top tier schools can select the best candidates.

6. Susanne12345

Susanne12345 New commenter

HI @amanda_gillingham , I teach in the Middle East. One of my colleagues joined us as an NQT and we have an NQT training programme. It's utter rubbish that schools won't consider you without experience, go for it! Especially the comment about low salary, benefits etc: our packages are excellent.

Make sure your CV/cover letter are amazing; learn everything to do with the school and know your visa requirements (my school did these for me) as well as anything that could be seen as a barrier or cultural differences to show you're ready. I know there are many very good schools in Dubai with great packages who will hie NQTs in order to grow them into future leaders. British Schools or COBIS linked schools are always good as their qualifications are recognised throughout and there is a minimum level of treatment/package/workload limits etc more in line with the UK.

I haven't regretted my choice, if you haven't considered Oman (very close to Dubai), then you definitely should!

missag1 likes this.
  7. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi HollyStephens could you start a PM Conversation with me as I would like to learn more about your experience.

Thank you