1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future of Wages and Conditions.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Marco82, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

This week NHS staff had imposed upon them yet another one percent wages increase. The rest of the public sector, including us, finds itself in the same position. Our wages have fallen by about fifteen percent since the start of the financial crisis. At the same time a government report shows that Scotland's financial picture is very gloomy indeed, with a massive deficit opening up thanks mainly to the collapse in the oil price. I am not making any point here about independence, for or against, my point is that, given the current outlook, how do we as a profession proceed? The fall in our living standard is, I think, permanent - or for many years to come at least - unless we take militant action. If we don't start thinking about a strategy now, we will never see a decent wage rise again for the government or COSLA is determined to keep the pressure on us to pay for the banking crash. To be honest, I see no sign of this happening for the unions are keeping their right heads down and hoping for the best. Yet a general rise in wages is exactly what the economy needs to lift it out of the doldrums. (By the way, that the is case right across the EU where the authorities are scared out of their wits at the prospect of deflation.) Teaching unions at the very least need to mount a joint campaign arguing the rational case for a rise in wages. They should not accept the austerity orthodoxy of either the Tories or the SNP but agitate and seek agreements with other public sector unions with a view to mounting a struggle. I am up for it for I am sick of being expected to do ever more for diminishing returns. Our leaders need to start earning their corn, they should forget all their other activities from promoting The CfE, CPD courses and even advertising holidays and get on with the only thing that I really care about, my income.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

We need to strike over (1) terms and conditions, (2) workload, (3) pensions, (4) the CfE disaster.

Do not over-estimate support for teachers striking among the public. Public perception will be that we work from 9am until 3pm and get loads of holidays. Striking will also interrupt parents' lives because they will have to find alternative childcare (and I do mean childcare). The junior doctors' strike doesn't affect the public like that.

I also think we need to get back to real teaching. Eg there was a post recently advertised at my school for a Principal Teacher for Improving Behaviour (can't remember the real title but it was something as meaningless as that). We can't afford to spend >£40k pa on a wee pretendy job like that.

As for realite, we won't strike, and even if we did, it's far too late. Tell me I'm wrong, please tell me I'm wrong?

3. redz

redz New commenter

Sorry but our teachers won't strike, you only have to look at the turn out in recent ballots and in the previous strike. Sorry but they won't want to! I would but fear we are in the minority and the powers that be know it!

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You're not wrong.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Only a few years ago,the union rep's room was full when we had a meeting during inset days. Now,only about 3 people turn up and I'm one of them.

6. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

You're Rifht in what you say about prospects for a fight, which is a great shame. But I suppose no one would ever have expected junior doctors to take strike action. Maybe things will have to get a lot worse though before we see a change in mood.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Their union is strong and the public loves doctors.