1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future of ICT?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ICTWarrior, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hi All
    I have not really used this forum before however i hope that you can help me. I am a fairly new Head of ICT and Business Studies. I am aware that there are major changes taking place with the launch of the new curriculum and the debate around ICT as a subject.
    At school we currently teach OCR Nationals from year 9 onwards. I realise that this will not be possible with next year's year 9 as the last certification for OCR Nationals is 2014 and most colleges in our area are not deeming the OCR Nationals in ICT to be worth a GCSE.
    To be honest i just want some advice as to what others are proposing to do in ICT as of next year? Are you teaching a traditional GCSE ICT course? or are there alternatives out there which you would consider or have trailed? Any information at this point would be invaluable.
    Thank you for your time in advance.
    P.S - If anybody has any other info regarding developments in ICT and what may or may not happen then that would also be useful.
    Cheers

2. Hi All
    I have not really used this forum before however i hope that you can help me. I am a fairly new Head of ICT and Business Studies. I am aware that there are major changes taking place with the launch of the new curriculum and the debate around ICT as a subject.
    At school we currently teach OCR Nationals from year 9 onwards. I realise that this will not be possible with next year's year 9 as the last certification for OCR Nationals is 2014 and most colleges in our area are not deeming the OCR Nationals in ICT to be worth a GCSE.
    To be honest i just want some advice as to what others are proposing to do in ICT as of next year? Are you teaching a traditional GCSE ICT course? or are there alternatives out there which you would consider or have trailed? Any information at this point would be invaluable.
    Thank you for your time in advance.
    P.S - If anybody has any other info regarding developments in ICT and what may or may not happen then that would also be useful.
    Cheers

3. Am i right in assuming that the current BTEC qualification will be counted within the league tables beyond 2014 or will we only know this when the DFE releases their List. When is this release expected? So sorry for what may seem basic questions but i am trying to get in front and decide what changes need to be made to minimise disruption in the future. Once again thanks for all you help ;-)

4. the current BTEC will also not count from 2013. They are looking at revamping the quals now.

5. There's a future?

6. Hi there and hi everyone else,

I am Head of Technology at Island School in Hong Kong - an international ESF day school of around 1200 students. Our school was set up originally to serve the expat community but that was over 40 years ago and now 80% of our student are permanent Hong Kong ID holders. We have generally followed a UK curriculum and our student still do IGCSE for most of their subjects. ICT is one exception. For the last 3 years we have done the Cambridge IE Award in Applied ICT. Essentially this course releases you from the prescribed content of GCSE and allows you to construct your own course assessing key skills within an ICT framework. There are seven assessment strands which follow a Design Process model and students can achieve 4 levels - Foundation Standard, Advanced and Innovator. Students are assessed on

Research and Planning
    Technical Skills
    Originality and Creativity
    Communication
    Fitness for Purpose
    Evaluation
    Commitment and Involvement

We find with our non selective intake and every Yr 11 student in the year taking the qualification in an hour a week, that most get Standrad, a few Advanced the rest Foundation with a few failing. and the odd innovator. Advanced, and particularly the Innovator level, really challenge and stretch the brightest. That said, I know of some 16 year olds that are getting these awards from Cambridge. In ICT it's great to have a mark scheme that allows students' achievement to be recognised beyond a simple A* and a particular, narrow slice of knowledge.

It is completely coursework assessed and based on a major project in Yr 11. What I like about the course is that it allows centres to create their own problem based teaching curriculum as long as that teaching curriculum seeks to develop the above skills. It's philosophically centred around allowing students to develop their personal interest in the use of digital products but stil leaves teachers scope to deliver the ICT curriculum of their choice. Students evidence their skills typically through some sort of digital portfolio (e.g blog, powepoint, google site, Adobe portfolio etc. again format not specified). There is tremendous freedom within the qualification structure and yet the flexible assessment objectives, being generally based around skills are very clear. Spreadsheet and database projects can be assessed along side media based projects or programming.

I would be happy to discuss further if this type of skills based course and it's learning objectives it embodies resonate with anyone.

Thanks.