1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future of ICT and Computing?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rubikwizard, Oct 27, 2011.

1. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

With all the current talk and press releases I was wondering what everyone thought about the future of ICT and Computing in their schools?
    BCS Report
    DfE Press Release
    BBC Report
    We are currently teaching GCSE and A Level Computing in our school but I would love for a revised 'Digital Literacy' curriculum at KS3 with elements of Computing thrown in.

2. Heard all about it but reading these reports with great interest. They have ruined ICT as a subject over the years by integrating it with everything else. They've made it something that just becomes 'tacked on' or that any teacher of any subject could do it (I've been over all this before in previous posts). Best approach, either scrap it altogether and make computing teachers recognised 'experts' in their subject area and/or just spread ICT widely across the other subjects, let any tom d and harry teach it to ks3 and then from gcse offer only computing. Sorted.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Dear TES administrators, please will you create a forum for computing so that all these computing bores who constantly try and belittle ICT as a subject have somewhere to go. I am sure it would be a great success as they have vastly superior minds to us plain old ICT teachers.

4. Inverted snobbery or what. I'm warmed by reflective ICT teachers commenting on how poor most if not all ICT qualifications are. The bores are those teachers who cannot see the wood for the trees.

5. And i do agree with you. A Computing forum would be welcome by many here. I'm slightly embarrassed to be associated with the Powerpoint and Access merchants. Come on TES. How about it? Let's have a proper foum for proper Computing and proper teachers, and leave those teaching ict to splash about in the shallow end.

6. The idea of Digital Literacy at KS3 seems like a great idea. I've recently taken over a very ICT focussed department and would dearly like to pursue computing qualifications at KS4 and 5 but having looked at various exams boards I was really concerned that we wouldn't be able to adequately prepare our boys for the challenge of GCSE computing in the hour a week they received at KS3.

The benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

7. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

As much as I love a bit of technical geekery (hardware's my thing), the two go hand in hand. Data structures, as hopefully we all know, are relevant to databases which are behind pretty much every single thing we do these days in one form or another.
    We have to be showing how Computing is directly relevant to ICT for it to survive. We need to get the ICT gang on side otherwise it's going to get marginalised. Start with simple sequencing in PowerPoint and move onto a little VB in Access and on to bigger things.
    For most of the world, the "shallow end" of ICT is all they will ever experience. We have to work within that frame of reference for Computing to gain a foothold and maybe later challenge ICT for more time on the syllabus.

8. Let's not stop there! Let's have a forum exclusively for those who eagerly relish opportunities to malign others who have different views! What is it about some ICT teachers who seem to think character assassination is the way to reply to other points of view on this forum? it's tiresome and doesn't reflect well on us as a community. (and this is not directed at DJP!....)

9. """"and this is not directed at DJP!....""""
    It sounds like it, although I'm sure if we are all honest, DJP set's himself up to be a target for comments. I can't help but admire his unswerving devotion to the Nationals course, but worry whether he will be in a job in a year or two unless he gets his finger out and starts learning proper computing skills and programming.

10. Perhaps, Mr or Ms Phillips, you would care to enlighten us to what you think ICT means if it does not involve computing?
    I can give you a clue: the letters stand for INFORMATION and COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY so just pop into the English department and ask them which is the noun and which are the adjectives? They will point out exactly the same as I shall and anyone worth their salt would.
    ICT is and was always intended to be a <u>TECHNOLOG</u>Y course about the <u>TECHNOLOGY</u> that can be used for processing information and communications. That means that ICT is and always was supposed to be a computer course. All your Powerpoint, all your word processing, even all your database building are extras - mere window-dressing examples - to the main purpose of the course.
    And that, my dear Phillips, is something far too many like yourself ignore which is why the ICT taught in schools and FE is such a failure.

11. djphillips1408

I don't know where all this pro computing stuff has come from in the last 6 months and why so many people find the death of ICT to be a foregone conclusion. I think I am just going to give this whole discussion a miss. As for the future of my post I think I'll be ok thanks, you can learn programming and it's not the elite reserve of the computing graduate to be able to deliver it.

12. Bet you can't learn C++ or Java as well as you can do Powerpoint presentations.

13. djphillips1408

Oh well this camels back is broken. Djphillips1408 has left the forum.....

14. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Most of the world doesn't need to understand C++ or Java (or Perl etc etc.), or for that matter, even PowerPoint if we're trying to be honest.
    Large portions of ICT are still useful to education, and even if it does get a bit airy-fairy at times, skills in office software and using it effectively can solve a whole heap of problems in "real life" .
    The necessary word will be "compromise" - and that applies to Computing and to ICT. We swing to one extreme or the other and we don't do anyone any favours.

15. From the BCS link in the first post: CAS have prepared a model Computing curriculum and are consulting with DfE officials on the best way to prepare this in a suitable Hirsch style for further consideration by DfE.

Is this model curriculum a public document? I can't seem to find it on the CAS site.

16. I've read this forum and feel sad that DJP and others like him may be leaving. I think it very important that we have a perspective from the point of view from someone without any background in computer science, and can offer valuable advice about "I.C.T." and how best to deliver OCR Nationals and Flash animations to year 9s.
    I've admired such unswerving devotion to multiple-GCSE qualifications that has really raised the profile of this subject and got us where we are today. Thank you DJP and all others like you. You'll all be missed in the post-OCR Nationals world.

17. Meow. Ouch!! I wouldn't worry too much. The TES ICT forum is like heroin ....

18. According to IT Jobs Watch in the last 3 months 35,501 developer jobs have been advertised. Average salary 40K including London, 35K excluding London. 10% of jobs paid over 65K. Pay rise since last year is an average of 7.69%.

19. Also, consider contractors:
    Average daily rate for all developers &pound;375
    Average daily rate for C# developers &pound;500

20. Really ? Top of MPS is something like &pound;32,000 or something isn't it (hence Tosha's figure of &pound;31k being a bunch of teachers who've reached that + some promoted ?). No idea what the LW is but surely it isn't that much ?