1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future of D&T is it all doom and gloom?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by MrsTKO, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Morning all
    I have been reading these threads with interest over the last few months. I must say that I am a little worried about the future of D&T in schools now. I am due to have my PGCE interview next week for a D&T course. I come from a strong food science/technology background and really wanted to teach a subject that I am passionate about. I also feel that food safety/science/technology does not gain the recognition it so rightly deserves, hence the reason why I want to pass on my knowledge to the future generation.
    But having read what the government may have in the pipeline, coupled with the lack of jobs (I know it is not just the teaching sector) I am worried that D&T will not have a future. I thought D&T or food technology was becoming compulsory in 2011, or did I read that wrong?
    Is it really all just doom and gloom are all aspiring teachers just wasting their time?

2. Morning all
    I have been reading these threads with interest over the last few months. I must say that I am a little worried about the future of D&T in schools now. I am due to have my PGCE interview next week for a D&T course. I come from a strong food science/technology background and really wanted to teach a subject that I am passionate about. I also feel that food safety/science/technology does not gain the recognition it so rightly deserves, hence the reason why I want to pass on my knowledge to the future generation.
    But having read what the government may have in the pipeline, coupled with the lack of jobs (I know it is not just the teaching sector) I am worried that D&T will not have a future. I thought D&T or food technology was becoming compulsory in 2011, or did I read that wrong?
    Is it really all just doom and gloom are all aspiring teachers just wasting their time?

3. I really think that there is a future for all our separate subjects. Food, in particular, looks as if it will be well supported for a while.
    The bit that looks difficult is the department as one subject.

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

well, it all depends on how much your SLT likes the subject and how rich your school is.

It costs a small fortune to run DT and if its not a priority for your school it'll soon be gone.

Sorry, but them theres the facts!

Pedro

5. I disagree with bigpedro - I don;t think the subject will just disappear, although I do think it will have to modify drastically. I think a lot of the future of DT will depend on what we, as DT teachers, do about it.

6. It's a changing world. If you have the time read the Wolf report, it came out yeaterday and does mention D&T. Which is more than the white paper did.
    However it depends which side of the vocational / academic divide D&T ends up on.
    Bcause it is essentially practical its not academic, and because it is not workplace training it is not vocational. But ir is agreed by most people to be valuable and worthwhile. That's the dilemma for schools. The English Bacc hasn't helped a bit, but headteachers and governors take a broader view of education than the secretary of state seems to manage.
    D&T will survive in modified form through the lifetime of this government. Who's to say what will happen next?.
    If we don't decide then somebody else will.