1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future of BTECS

Discussion in 'Science' started by sami1405, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    Hopeing to get some advice feedback from others in similar situation.
    For the last 2-3 years we have run the old and now the new BTECs in Applied Science and this has really motivated lower ability pupils and obviously improved our % 2 A*-C for 2 good sciences.
    However going into 2011 I am unsure of the best course of action for next years 10. We have 6 science sets and my original plan was the top 2 sets do the new Edexcel GCSE and the middle 2 do the BTEC extended certificate - 2 GCSE A*-C equivalent and the bottom 2 the First certificate woth 1 GCSE equivalent.
    However this was before all the revised changes with BTECS and the Ebacc. I have recieved information from the latest Government report that BTECS will count as 2 good science indicators until 2013 - which means they will count for next years 10 - has anyone else heard this.
    I am aware BTECS will not count towards the Ebacc BUT our school is not too focused on that at the moment - more about driving pupils forward. However I wanted clarifcation that BTECs will count towards the league tables as 2 good sciences until 2013 - does this include the %5 A*-C.
    It seems every which way I turn - exam boards and DFEE I dont seem to get a clear explanation or answer
    Can anyone advise. My HOD is on maternity and I need to make these descisions pretty soon as I am more inclined to do the new GCSE for all groups apart from bottom 2 sets.
    Any feedback?
    Thanks
    Sam

2. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

We are just starting BTEC having moved from GCSE Applied Science with AQA.

In my opinion the simple and overiding question you need to ask is what is best and most suitable for the pupils.

We have gone for pupils who we believe wioll not get a C grade or above in GCSE, but who are good attenders - to do BTEC.

If pupils can possibly get a C grade at GCSE they should be given the chance.

You can hence almost forget the league tables using this method as the A* - C should not be affected - Also the probability of affecting EBac is almost zero as well.

This is just my opinion, but seems to meet with general approval from our Head, HOD and LEA Rep.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I read somewhere (Guardian or TES probably) that Gove is considering whether BTEC should be worth 2 GCSEs - possibly downgrade it to 1 GCSE equivalent. This may affect your decision 9and more crucially how much timetable time you get allocated).
    Best wishes,
    P

4. From the questionnaires I get from BTEC I think that it will become a 60% coursework 40% exam qualification.

5. http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/Statement-of-Intent.pdf

Page 5 of this document should give you the info you may be looking for.......i interpret it as the BTEC will count as 2A*-C in science as well as in the 5A*-C for the next two years. I think they will also publish these headline figures WITHOUT the BTEC.

Hope this helps