1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future Face of FE?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by anon3279, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I don't know what to think either. Just had some very grim meetings at work today - Bad Times [​IMG].
    What the heck Gove's thinking is behind his changes to the sector is totally beyond me.
    As for us being employed in school settings to teach those who have to stay in education/training... I don't think that'll happen. There are plenty of redundancies in the mainstream sector and I think the slack will be taken up by those poor people who lose their jobs there.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

If you're a dullard you might get by with a back-office job and stay in work for twenty years.
    But, if you're fired-up, you are on a hiding to nowhere.
    I left behind labouring on the A1, M1 motorway link and started out on A levels at age thirty in September 1990. I then went to uni and then, after uni I did a PGCE FE. I qualified in June 1995.
    I struggled on for a further fifteen years of part-time teaching, care work and periods of unemployment and ran into loads of debt. This despite having other qualifications in teaching literacy and numeracy as well as the PGCE FE in Philosophy and also teaching English literature.
    I'm now back labouring and, fourteen months on, I've cleared all my debt and purchased no end of stuff for the house. I'm even thinking about buying a proper brand new car this year.
    I'll never regret going to uni and I still have all my lecture notes and loads of book from the course. I've kept up my interest in all the academic areas and continue to buy the latest literature.
    My life is far better now that I'm back labouring than it ever could have been if I'd struggled on as a college lecturer.
    Plus I had the daily struggle against the ignorance of F E people who didn't get the idea of ex offenders empowering themself through education.
    I also got very weary of educating the so-called educators and all the quangos who had no idea about actual legislation.
    But, if I'd been a dullard!
    Remember: working in F E is just the same as running a market stall. Except you'll make a more secure living running a market stall.
    I truly wish it wasn't like that and I wish I could warn the prospective PGCE FE students and those who will qualify in June.
    You have to find out for yourself.
    But there should be an health warning on the PGCE FE. It so often really is a road to nowhere.

3. I don't think you can tarnish to the whole of the FE sector with the same brush to be honest. I've never looked back, nor have I have I enjoyed myself in my day-to-day job as much as lecturing in FE right now. It's probably more to do with the particular college I'm at, rather than the sector itself.