1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Future employment after a period of WRS

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by crazycatloveruk, Nov 19, 2018.

1. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Hi
    Looking for some reassurance/support from the lovely people on here,
    I have been signed off with WRS and it has now turned into 4 weeks with possibly more to come. I never thought it would go on this long and I am feeling really anxious about when i go to look for future jobs am i going to be frowned upon for having time off, will this go against me in future employment?
    Up until this point I had rarely had time off in my career, only the odd few days with sickness etc and I wish I was well enough to get back to work but know I'm not yet.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I suppose some schools might shy away from it but others won't.

But some will want (although they cannot admit it, obviously!) a man rather than a woman or a graduate of a Russell Group university rather than some other establishment or someone who has a track record of doing a chess club.

Don't worry about it. Don't second-guess it. Make sure you have a good CV and summary and son and and put your best foot forward. Loads of us have had WRS and got great jobs at a later date!

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Hi @crazycatloveruk, I've been signed off for two weeks but have no idea if I will be fit to return once that runs out. I have exactly the same concerns as you. I really hate feeling like this. On a positive note, my tablets seem to be working well and I am feeling much calmer (but easy to say when I'm just dozing and walking and not back at work!). My first counselling appointment is later in the week. Thinking of you (and the many others in this situation too) x

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Though I've only suffered slightly with 'mild' depression as part of WRS I'm acutely aware that it could have got a lot worse and I spend a lot of thought ensuring that the many stressors that come my way are not show-stoppers.

Similarly you have a medical condition that needs treating and rest is a major part of that. Can you shelve the future for now and concentrate on getting through the day/week/month until your recovery occurs? Not easy to do that but any strategies will help you immensely.

I do agree with the above posters, you are still a good teacher and most schools* will appreciate this (anyway, they have to as there aren't any happy, stress-free teachers left).

* you really don't want to be a prospect at a school that doesn't value staff job satisfaction.

agathamorse and catbefriender like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Schools will be fine. The don't/can't ask about absence as part of the recruitment process, so you'll be fine.

Also, four weeks is nothing really. I had three months off and got the first post I applied for afterwards.

Concentrate on getting better and then think about a new job.

6. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Your priority needs to be your health. Please don't worry. As many people have said, WRS is quite common with teachers and any employer worth working for won't see this as a reason not to hire you if you're the best person for the job.

That's not to say some schools won't 'frown upon' WRS, there will be some that do, but are these the schools you want to work in? They would usually be the ones that are least compassionate, work their staff to the bone...or both.

Just focus on getting yourself back on track.

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Look on it in a positive light, any school that aint interested in you, aint worth working for. It's that simple!

You are off sick, you can do some therapeutic stuff like tidying up, decluttering, sorting out your wardrobe (you will be surprised what's in there!), working out your Christmas presents, watching nonsense on Netflix, doing some exercise, doing some DIY, crafting, baking, etc. Just keep yourself occupied.

It is alright to have fun and enjoy yourself in the day. Allow yourself that. No guilt and remember you can call the Education and Support Partnership and request extended counselling where you can have the same counsellor for up to 6 sessions to help you work out how to deal with things.

Re the next job, don't go there just yet. Get through each day and if you manage to laugh and have some fun filled moments, give yourself a pat on the back . That's the work you've got to do. Getting and feeling better.

8. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Thank you to everyone who has took the time to post supportive comments. Some good advice.
    I am talking about jobs outside teaching so I wonder how they will see time off? Hopefully they will show some compassion and understand considering the circumstances.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I would try to survive day to day for now and recover your health as others have said. I've remained in teaching after two episodes of WRS (left post and went on supply after first one, second one is at my current post and have made a full recovery)so maybe not best placed to advise you if you want to leave the profession.
    There have been some really good threads about changing career on the Career Clinic forum though. I don't know if you have to declare time off work to future employers either.

agathamorse likes this.