1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fussy Year 3 class - any advice would be massively appreciated!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kettlebabes, Jun 28, 2011.

1. try some instant individual rewards. Explain / remind them of what you are expecting, especially for those transition times that you talk of. Then reward the first person you notice who has complied with this - I've used marshmallows for this with my Y3 class and they loved it. I make a big fuss, 'wow! you've done a brilliant job, sitting ready and listening and you deserve this...' Well you get the picture. I did this for a couple of weeks and it worked a treat, cost me about two bags of marshmallows per week. I just gradually eased off handing them out and they didn't comment at all, but continued to do as asked. Your class sounds very similar to mine so I know where you're coming from! I also used it to reward those chn who had made good effort, like the 15 or so that you mention, so when I saw great work, again I'd use the edible reward.
    It's not my own original idea, I stole it from another teacher. She used these rewards to good effect. She used a range of rewards from grapes, marshmallows, chocolate etc. I was impressed when I saw it in action in her lessons so that's why I thought it was worth a try. I guess you could call it bribery - but it worked.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was going to say individual rewards as well. There is no point being good yourself if others in your team let you down.

I use (supermarket brand) jelly beans as you get loads for your money and they are suitable for vegetarians. Stickers also work well, I have had tears and tantrums from year 6 when a sticker falls off and is lost!

Grapes sounds a good idea though...will be better when I raid the treat box on a bad day! Might change for those sometimes from Sept.

3. I wouldn't use food as a reward for good work or behaviour.
    Stick with the team and individual points as long as it is manageable. Instant stickers with children work well too as mentioned. You will get there in the end but they sound like they have had a tricky year. Blessing is that they will be totally familiar with your expectations in September and you can hit the ground running with them.
    Good luck.