1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fussy Eater!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blueone, Nov 25, 2011.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

My gorgeous 14 month old has turned into a right fuss pot when it comes to food. We had a stage when he was eating a wide variety of food (cheese, toast, spag bol, omlettes, rice and chicken, roasts etc..) but lately he's been turning his nose up at everything! I put food infront of him, and/or try to feed him with a spoon but he wont eat anything. He may take one spoonful, but will then shake his head and keep his mouth closed so i cant get anything in! They only thing he will eat is weetabix, fruit and yoghurt. Im getting quite worried though. I dont want to be one of those mums who gives in when he won't eat his dinner, but Im finding that im giving him anything he wants just to get something inside of him! And im getting really fed-up with spending time preparing food, just for it to be thrown all over the place!
    Have you got a fussy eater? What did/do you do?

2. Hi Blueone. LO is the same age and we have this at the moment too. I'm putting it down to teeth and her wanting to do everything herself and trying to assert her authority. I may be wrong but I'm finding it easier to cope with if I tell myself it's a temporary thing!
    Giving her finger food usually helps us, especially little things like peas, sweetcorn, chunks of carrot that she can be busying herself with while I try and sneak a spoon in her mouth! Making sure that she has her own spoon is always a good diversion and we have bowls with ducks and other pictures on the bottom and now she has realised this, she quite likes to get to the bottom of the bowl so she can attempt to shout 'duck' loudly!
    I'm hoping it's a stage that will pass. Good luck x

3. blueone

blueone New commenter

Hi
    yea he has got some new molars recently so it could be down to that. Im just feeling a little guilty, like i should be giving him more food than he is having but he just wont eat it so its pointless! Im hoping it passes and i may try those other tings you suggested x

4. My LO is a fussy eater! He's nearly 13 months. He loves cereal, bread, yoghurt (most of the time), and anything baked! His favourite is rice, and occasionally even with curry or chilli, meatier the better . At tea time (he has lunch at nursery) we all sit together and I put the night's offering in front of him on highchair tray. He sometimes tries a little bit, mostly not. I give him a fork and spoon and he sometimes eats more when just left to get on with by himself. (He can feed himself with a spoon pretty well and enjoys doing so)
    I praise him if he tries anything and don't comment on anything negative. Once he has finished (usually by dropping cutlery on floor) I take away what he hasn't eaten and he is given a piece of fruit (variable what he eats of this!) Then it is bath and bedtime. I refuse to make him anything separate - if he is hungry he will eat. I read somewhere that at about 12 months growth slows down and that babies/toddlers only need about 1000 cals a day - about 500 of that is taken up with milk feeds (my LO has about 16oz a day, morning and evening).
    It's really hard to keep calm about food because I know I feel like I have failed as a mother if he doesn't eat my freshly prepared meals but he's happy, healthy and (I think, but of course I am hugely biased!) quite clever so I just take what solace I can from that!
    My LO is wilful and has been from the day he was born, so this is the first of many battles we will have - bring it on!

5. Forgot to say, we always have loud(ish)music or the radio on in the background and a bit of highchair dancing seems another popular distraction in our house! Then once she's finished we do some 'proper' dancing around the kitchen. Gives her something to look forward to I suppose!!!

6. Ha ha! We love a bit of highchair dancing - mainly to the Archers theme tune, poor child!

7. All toddlers are fussy to some degree. They all refuse to eat meals on occasion. The most common reason with my daughter is that she is not hungry. If she isnt hungry there are things she will still eat but it is a much shorter list. Their hunger varies depending on lots of things like whether having a growth spurt, if they are catching up from a bug, if they have been snacking all day. At other times they have a few weeks where they eat less. I go the hardline way though - the choice is you can eat or not. It doesnt make mealtimes a battle.....it is her choice. There is no right or wrong way but one thing to definitely be careful of is being put off giving them something them refusing and not offering it again. Also labelling them as 'fussy' I think is bad because a bit later thsn 14 months they will start to live up to it.

8. My LO is 15 months and can be a real monkey at meal times. Some days he will eat a huge bowl of lasagne happily, then the next time I offer it he wont touch it. I have recently bought him a little toddler fork which has helped a bit as he sees me using a fork and always wants it.
    I find that young children are grazers rather than eating big meals, little and often is how my LO seems to eat best. Quite often as well they are tired at meal times as it's usually just before their sleep which will make them tetchy and stubborn, perhaps bringing the meal forward half an hour could help?
    There is nothing more disheartening than preparing a meal for your LO to sit and look at it. I try and just freeze what I have cooked for my husband and myself rather than make individual things although fishfingers, pasta and cheese and peas always seem to be a winner! Also tomato soup is a firm favourite and is always finished (if messy!)

9. Mine was exactly the same - ate amazingly until about 14 months then would not eat many things at all. As with others she'd still eat things that were healthy even if not varied (plain yoghurt, a few types of fruit, homemade scotch pancakes which are great as protein and carbs, porridge or weetabix etc).
    I found it intensely stressful then managed to get over it a bit. In the end I went with giving 'new' things at lunchtime, then simply taking away unfinished and letting her get down. Usually added a slice of bread and butter which she'd eat, to make sure there was something. I'd offer no alternative. Then she'd be offered an afternoon snack (fruit/healthy) later. That way if she was hungry from not eating lunch it wasn't long before she had something but it wasn't immediate so not a lesson that refusal = something that she wants more.
    Then in evening I'd offer a sure fire hit so that she'd definitely have a good meal before bed.
    I felt it was a way of a) getting food into her b) offering new things c) never making big deal - and never offering alternative if she made a fuss.
    Whether that worked or simply she grew out of it I don't know but now things are WAY better and life's getting easier again on that front (she's 22 months).
    Oh and also she'd be more likely to try something we were eating - so we tried to have as many meals together as our different food times allowed.

10. Oooh, Beachhut- that sounds like pretty good advice to me. Mini-moo is just getting to the fussy phase after eating pretty much anything-she had odd tastes and loves olives, mackerel and curry but is refusing other stuff. We do tend to eat together which helps.t
    It is hard balancing the not wanting to give in with not wanting them to go hungry!

Does anyone give vitamin drops?

11. I will give second vote to Beachhut's regime - that is pretty well exactly what I do with my daughter. It nicely balances the not giving in to whinging that they want a banana instead of roast dinner with making sure they have enough to eat.