1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fury as headteacher 'tells kids to write a "reflection" statement if they want toilet'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by theworm123, May 18, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Would a form help you? If so have you implemented it?

What would be done with the "form"?
    Why not issue lines "I must go to the toilet at break" and get them to do those when they get back, oh wait no that would be a waste of time. (See what I did there). Its behaviour management like any other so consistency and classroom presence is all that's required not wasting paper and more learning time.

Jamvic likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Said so many leaders as they issue another new mundane and vaguely relevent document, only to be seen as justifying their job and salary by virtually everyone needing to complete it.

It's primary school not secondary where bladder control should be less of an issue bar known health concerns.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The following extract is taken from the school's own Whole School Food Policy [the emphases are mine]

https://www.norden.rochdale.sch.uk/content/policies

Drinks
    We recognise that low fluid intake can lead to reduced academic performance through poor concentration and lethargy, reduced physical performance and health problems including headaches and urine infections. All children and staff have free access to water throughout the day. Drinks will be taken from a child’s own water bottle in Key Stages One and Two or available cups in the Foundation Stage. Water bottles are available for Key Stage One and Two children to buy from the school office. Water and milk are the only drinks permitted between meals.

I wonder whether the head teacher is promoting the (ridiculous, IMO) concept of continuous brain hydration while, at the same time, making it uncomfortable for the pupils to visit that lavatory when they need to!

:confused:

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Jamvic, towncryer, Mrsmumbles and 4 others like this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I wouldn't fancy having to write a reflection about why I have periods each month.

Jamvic, strawbs, towncryer and 5 others like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It’s a deterrent. 5 minutes having a wander, sneaking a peek into other classrooms, missing a bit of a lesson is less appealing if then you’ve got to do paperwork.

As for me, I don’t keep them in at break because I have to be outside with the rest of the class at break and I can’t leave them inside. As it is, I don’t need to ask them to fill in a form because generally speaking they’ve got out of the habit of asking. Sometimes one will and depending on who it is and what they’re doing i’ll make a judgement call on whether I think it’s genuine. I might remind them that break is in x minutes and to hold on till then, but if they’re desperate of course i’ll let them go.
    Consistency and classroom presence is all well and good but i can see how it can become a problem (teacher off, supply teachers who haven’t had a chance to build up a consistent approach etc) and why someone might bring it in as a response to a specific situation.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Precisely. I once had to explain to a very naive male teacher that adolescent girls do not always need the lavatory when they ask to visit the toilets.

Jamvic, needabreak, strawbs and 2 others like this.
  7. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

I don't like the thought of students having to ask me to go to the toilet. I leave the toilet pass at the door and they can use it without asking. It works in most cases...though occasionally I do have to give them a bit of a reminder that the toilet pass will only be there if its use is not abused.

Filling out a reflection is a step too far in my opinion.

Dragonlady30 and FrankWolley like this.
  8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You lucky lot not teaching a bunch of kids who will find literally any excuse to go for a little walk when they’re supposed to be in class.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

There does seem to be a pattern to it, too.

Doing quite a bit of supply, I notice that without fail the 'smart backside' kids, the insolent ones who won't be able to deal with the work set when it get to that point in the lesson, are those suddenly wanting the toilet break.

I cannot be too hypocritical though.....there are times I am very, very happy such kids use the excuse of the toilet to be outside the class for 5-10 mins.

Something should be done as there are probably kids losing an hour or so a week to this nonsense. Not sure this is the way though.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I’ve got 2 who, no matter what’s happening or what time it is, on hearing someone else be allowed to go to the toilet, will immediately request to go as well. Usually loudly. Every. Single. Time.
    And sometimes they’ll ask just because they’ve seen someone from the other class walk past.
    And they’ll acknowledge they don’t really need to go but if so and so gets to leave the class, then so should they. And sometimes then they do anyway, which is then something else for me to follow up officially.
    They’re difficult kids behaviour wise, and usual strategies don’t always work, and there are reasons parents in or sending to SLT are not workable solutions. I’ve not implemented writing a reflection sheet, but its not actually a bad idea to deal with the specific challenges of this particular bunch.

cissy3 and dumpty like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

it has lost 'in the designated place'.

mothorchid likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was made to stand in front of the class and sing a solo aged 7. I was told that I couldn't be heard behind a bus ticket. I sang very little for the rest of my life save, occasionally, as part of a large choir and once as a comedy turn duo.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

This month's Scientific American is also puzzled.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am totally against such a policy. As a teacher I never implemented such policies and made my refusal public. I was damaged too greatly as a child by a fear of asking to go to the toilet. I didn't get past that feeling until my finals.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You never know. Could be a bestseller.

primarycat likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

She is also now going to be anonymously immortalised in my book, HA!

theworm123 likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

For me, it’s the comebacks. The potential Mail Headlines, like ‘Tots’ Toilet Tyrants’ etc etc. Those kids who slack off on pseudo loo breaks soon drop down the academic ladder and can be targeted that way. I just remember, working at one of the supposedly best schools in the country, with, supposedly, the creme de la creme, the next elite...apparently, the future leaders and parliamentarians of Britain were in front of me...there I was,, arguing with a sixth form boy about why he needed to go to the loo in the lesson just after lunch. He hated me for challenging him over it. This normally dapper, polite young man’s face darkened with rage and he looked genuinely upset. Finally, he choked out: “ But M..M ..Miss! I need
    ...I just...I NEED to do a po*!” Stunned silence, then uproar. That was my lesson gone for the next ten minutes. I mean, there’s no comeback from that explanation, is there? Out he went. Never get between kids and toilet access! It just is not worth it. You never want to call their bluff on THAT particular number...

20. Mrsmumbles

needabreak said:
    Yuck, don't that reminds me of the paper toilet roll we had in primary school, used to have to scrunch it up... useless for a wee.. :eek:

9C96FEF4-DB94-4429-AA37-52CAA922CB7A.jpeg
    We had Izal. Unforgettable name, unforgettable texture. It’s stamped on the memory for good, is Izal...Britain can take it...ouch!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    needabreak, towncryer and nomad like this.