1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fury as headteacher 'tells kids to write a "reflection" statement if they want toilet'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by theworm123, May 18, 2019.

1. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Many, many years ago and HMI (that dates it) told me that teaching was the most powerful job in the world - because you could stop someone from going to the toilet.
    I have always treasured this comment. And acted upon it...;)

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

How exactly does filling in a form after you have vacated your bladder or bowels reduced the number of children going to the toilet?

As a professional she might want to consider why children might want to leave the class room if she is correct in the implied assumption that they could have not done so.

I have explained why her facial expression might be a concern to me if I were a young primary aged child who was fearful of getting into trouble for needing to use the toilet, and there could be potential health consequences.

Again I say it's an absurd policy with apparently no reasonable reason for imposing it, children aren't our personal experiment.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    nomad and FrankWolley like this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Surely filling in a form would just waste more class time. Just use some common sense.

FrankWolley and needabreak like this.
  4. needabreak

Indeed, it might however be in short supply in those parts.

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

theworm123 likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You could always take the form to the toilet with you, could be useful in an emergency!

7. needabreak

Lol, even as an adult I'd have my legs crossed.

8. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

She’s likely a narcissist, filling out a form every time you need a toilet is a form of power to her.

9. needabreak

Yuck, don't that reminds me of the paper toilet roll we had in primary school, used to have to scrunch it up... useless for a wee.. :eek:

10. needabreak

Oh dear. I prefer to think she's just being overly officious to attempt to tick a new box someone else further up the food chain has presented her with... But admitedly that seems unlikely since she's HT and there aren't lots of similar stories.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I actually think demanding that pupils walk around with their hands behind their backs, if true, are equally bizarre (& worrying!)

12. needabreak

Guess so. Did anyone else have to put their hands up as a class and be quiet at primary school as a sort of punishment?

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

VACATE one's bladder or bowel?!

Now, where did I leave it? I could have sworn I left my bladder with my keys... :)

EmanuelShadrack and needabreak like this.
  14. needabreak

:D:D:D :oops: you're right perhaps evacuate would be better?

Or just empty...

Though I suspect said teacher might prefer all bladders/bowels be vacated at home :oops:

15. FrankWolley

I had sticky tape (green, I recall) stuck across my mouth aged 6 or so...:eek:

16. needabreak

Oh crumbs, "a bit of a chatterbox"were probably the words used in your report too.

17. FrankWolley

Probably!:D

18. needabreak

At what age was it removed? ;):D

EmanuelShadrack and les25paul like this.
  19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The ones doing it because they fancy a wander round the school rather than doing their work will be put off that if it actually leads to having to do extra work.

They are allowed to go to the toilet, just need to write why afterwards. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it for anything younger than say, year 5, but I'm year 6 and I often don't allow pupils to go to the toilet during lessons. Some will come in from break and within 5 minutes tell me they need to go. That's not acceptable. They're 10/11, they know that break is toilet time, and I shouldn't have my lesson disrupted by children coming in and out. And I say children, because you allow one to go and invariably, 3 other hands will immediately go up asking to go, and if you say no, then it becomes a "that's not fair, you let XXX go but you won't let me go!" and that's that, the whole class is distracted and focus is gone and now you've got to stop to deal with at least one stroppy kid who's angry that you won't let him go hang out in the toilet with his friends (and I use male pronouns because ime it's nearly always boys - but I'm sure girls do it too). It's why I don't let them go to drink water at the water fountain (I let them get up and get a drink from their water bottle by the sink) because you end up with a constant procession of kids in and out 'getting water'.

cissy3 likes this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

In our school if the kids have to go to the loo, they need a signed note in their planner so they can demonstrate that they are authorised to be out of the lesson.
    Quite often a kid will come to me and say "can I go to the toilet please" and I say "ok, bring me your planner".
    The kid shrugs, and says "doesn't matter".
    They don't go.
    Because they never needed to.

This is pretty frequent. And the planner thing reduces the number of needless visits to the loo.
    I'm 100% sure this is the concept being attempted by the HT-introduce some paperwork to toilet visits (and no, a pun in response to that is not even verging on funny) and automatically the number of toilet visits decreases.
    The pivotal thing is that yes, toilet visits are allowed.
    Without the paperwork, there is too much unnecessary disruption to class.
    And too many corridor cahoots from people who just want an excuse to go doodle about on their phone making break time arrangements. Or staving in some poor Y7. I'm talking secondary, but the principal remains in Primary too Im sure.
    I have never encountered a child who genuinely needed the toilet and was unhappy about doing the requisite filling in of planner. Never an objection.
    Why are people so against the idea?!

cissy3 likes this.