1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fury as headteacher 'tells kids to write a "reflection" statement if they want toilet'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by theworm123, May 18, 2019.

1. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

[​IMG]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-primary-school-head-forces-16165761

On the interwebs they call that a ‘I demand to see your manager’ or a Karen haircut.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Bizarre rules, still she's got her 5 - 15 minutes of fame so we can move along now.

Jamvic and NIHistoryTeacher like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sometimes when I go the loo, I look in the mirror and reflect on how awesome my weeing is.

And I feel great!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The Head looks just old enough to be a PGCE student let alone a Head Teacher.

Whilst that nice for her it also suggests she has got promoted up the ranks far quicker then was good.

5. needabreak

She also looks quite fearsome in that pic if I were her student I'd hold my pee far longer than is healthy for fear of that death stare.

BetterNow, agathamorse and towncryer like this.
  6. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Are they being trained to be army recruits?

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

"Fury" is a good tabloid word.

8. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I’ve noticed these ‘strict’ heads always have quite questionable hairstyles, like sideshow bob (I won’t name her).

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're a chap (or at least equipped as a chap) it's possible to write a statement on your reflection when you wee.

BetterNow and towncryer like this.
  10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

A school I worked in the children had to walk along the corridor with their hands clasped behind their backs but I think that was to stop them hitting each other!

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

From the link:

''Primary pupils are allegedly being told to fill out a “reflection” sheet if they need a wee in classtime.''

Sounds like a parent has problems with the Head and gone running to the Mirror.

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I know of a school which has similar rules and it’s in incredibly high demand from parents.

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I knew of a school where the pupils curtsied to the teacher at the beginning and end of the day.

A girls school.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well where else would you run to if you wanted to reflect?

15. needabreak

Could be worse could have been the
    teachers.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I had to in my primary school. Shake hands and curtsey on the way in and out.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[Edit]: blazer beat me to it :)

nomad likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Apparently she became HT in January, but hasn't had time yet to update the 'Head's Welcome' on her school's website. o_O

HelenREMfan and nomad like this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm pretty surprised at the derisory responses.
    It is an educationalist who has managed to get into the tat press and is being bad mouthed.
    O dear; the initial response here is to join in.

Here a quote from the article-
    "The families said: “It has been reported to parents that children are being denied toilet breaks in lessons, or if they appear really desperate and have gone anyway, they have to fill in a reflection sheet."

We all know that many children leave the room for the loo when they don't need to. So this is a strategy to minimise that. It (presumably) would ensure more continuity in teaching too.
    But the mail article then quote parents wittering on about entitlement to bodily functions, how their children ought to be allowed to interrupt lessons because it is their physical needs.. The usual.

But here's the thing. They are in fact allowed to go to the loo.
    What's the problem? They have to fill in a bit of paper afterwards just to say that yes, it was necessary.
    And as a classroom pracitioner, I completely get why they have to do this. It's called the bigger picture, thinking of everybody involved. It's also the picture that press-going parents so rarely stop to consider. The rights of their own particular child need to be louder than anything else. Hence this article.

Astonishing that posters here are simply commenting on this HT's haircut. Or her age. Or her facial expression. What on earth has that level of objectification got to do with the policies she has introduced? Shame on you! Why not eat the Daily Mail for your Sunday lunch today too?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    cissy3, phlogiston and Orkrider2 like this.
  20. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Fill out? What happened to fill in?

BetterNow and Mrsmumbles like this.