1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Further Mechanics 1 Edexcel

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by GoldMaths, Apr 3, 2019.

1. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Having a few problems with projecting a vector onto another. We have encourtered quite a few problems where using dot products make the question really easy, such as the question attached. Rather than resolving perpendicular and horizontal using angles.

To my knowledge there is nothing in the textbook about projecting one vector onto another. Is it on the syllabus?

Thanks,

Projection Question.jpg

2. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

There is a tiny pink box mentioning it in the middle of Exercise 5B I think. About resolving velocities in the direction of the impulse. The method also appears in the solution bank which had me scratching my head like you. I could see it was the best way to do it but could find no examples and I knew it was not taught elsewhere.

3. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

When I did this, just about the first thing I did was dot product and projecting one vector onto another. There are few examples around so students can't practice the method unless I/we create some. It really gets fiddly when the rebound has restitution and then goes on and hits another wall. This is the one element of the course FM1 and FM2 that my lot have asked for more of. The marks allocated in the book also don't seem to reflect the work required.
    If I find/create some more, I'll post.
    Bric

4. lhort

lhort New commenter

Has anyone made or found any sets of questions to practice this? My group have also asked for practice on this!