1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Further maths independently taught?????

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Afghan, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Afghan

Afghan New commenter

Can anyone advice me please. My son has started his A2 further maths course and been told he has to teach it himself???? He has been given a textbook and spec and told to get on with it. I wondered if this was common practice and if it is possible to do this? Also am I right in thinking that the school will be getting funding for students doing this course but 'pocketing' the money?

2. DM

DM New commenter

3. Afghan

Afghan New commenter

He does now. Thank you.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

It's not uncommon. The funding issue is an interesting one. If it's a 4th A-Level then chances are there is no funding for it. Even if there is funding it is on a per-student, not per-course basis. That means that each student on a course might be funded for the equivalent of, say, 15 minutes staff time a week. Basically schools do this because the alternative is not running the course at all, and there is at least support available for further maths.

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I would suggest getting your son a private tutor. I myself have tutored several students in FP1, FP2 and FP3, and for the last mentioned the student was from a school that is one of the best in London, and the only decent one within miles of where I live.

However, you do need to be aware that the vast majority of tutors out there are rubbish! Finding one who really knows his/her stuff is going to be difficult, especially for further maths. One big warning sign is someone who wants to dictate a lesson. These people don't know their subject very well and are terrified of just letting the student ask for help in whatever they want. Another warning sign is very cheap tutors, especially those who are willing to travel to your home.

If you can find a good tutor, then it will make a big difference to your son's learning. Please ignore the naysayers, as there are a lot of very mediocre teachers who fear and hate the thought of someone who may be much better looking over their shoulder.

6. BillyBobJoe

It's also possible that teachers resent arrogant know-it-alls who haven't taught in a mainstream school in years telling them what they're doing wrong. Just a thought. Nonetheless, I've never met a teacher who resented students having tutors, as it usually meant the parents were determined to see their child succeed and supported the school accordingly, besides any good the tutor may have done.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A bit harsh. A good maths tutor is not necessarily a good housekeeper.

colinbillett likes this.
  8. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I'm cheap because I don't want to be available only to the rich, and I travel because I have a little house, no spare room, and some big dogs. I also have a 1st in maths plus a couple of Masters in education and mathematical education. I've taught in all manner of schools and colleges. And I get very, very good results.

prathap4 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Unless you are sitting the exams themselves, I rather doubt it. Your students will, assuming you are correct, be achieving great results.

There are plenty of warning signs. If you buy my new book "Poor tutors - and how to avoid them!", available at a Kindle store near you, I can tell you all you need to know.

colinbillett likes this.
  10. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Is that the one where you have a tutor's business card on the cover saying "Peter File" because making jokes with people's names is SOOO funny?

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Eh?

12. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

If only this were a joking matter. Just take a look at most of the profiles on the major tutoring sites. Also, for certain ethnicities it's obvious that the plethora of references have been supplied by friends and relatives. Sadly, due to the quality of many UK maths teachers there's a very real need for good tutors.
    About 18 months ago my nephew, who I tutor for free, had a cross against an answer. His Cheap First teacher had told the class that zero was the wrong answer, that they should have put minus zero. This person is still at his school and has been let lose on sixth form classes.

colinbillett likes this.
  13. BillyBobJoe

So one bit of ignorance by one teacher is indicative of the "quality of many UK maths teachers"? I really hope you don't tutor statistics or logic. Apart from anything else Teach First "alumni" aren't generally eligible to teach in Scotland.

colinbillett likes this.
  14. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

You mean those people with English surnames getting references from people with English surnames? Outrageous.

David Getling likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Not those pesky Polynesians, then?