1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Further maths GCSE?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Elfrune, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

Dear all,

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this matter. I have a very high ability year 9 going in to year 10 group. I would like them to achieve 2 GCSE's in mathematics. I know there used to be a highly regarded Link Pair Pilot, and a highly regarded Further Maths GCSE course. Are these things still around? I think a second GCSE might help bridge the gap we always seem to have between GCSE and A level, particularly given the new A level content.

Many thanks

smillsj likes this.
  2. willhornby153

willhornby153 New commenter

There is no such thing as a second GCSE anymore. The linked pair went out with the old GCSE.
    There are various FSMQs and level 2 or 3 certificates, some of which are sometimes referred to as a GCSE Further or Additional maths, but none of them actually are. None of them count for Progress 8 (so far as I'm aware) unless your students don't take GCSE, so in effect they never count.
    For your students the OCR Level 3 Additional Maths would be great. It introduces some AS content and draws their thinking into level 3 as opposed to level 2 at GCSE.

3. smillsj

smillsj New commenter

I thought AQA had a Further Maths course?

4. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

Does it count in P8?

5. willhornby153

Yes they do, but it is a level 2 certificate not a GCSE, though many people refer to it as such.

6. willhornby153

None of the extra maths certificates count for progress 8 unless they havent taken GCSE.

7. willhornby153

From the DfE document on Progress 8

Mathematics qualifications
    This element of Progress 8 is double weighted. Only mathematics qualifications which
    also count towards the EBacc can count in the mathematics slot. From 2017 only the new GCSEs (9-1) in mathematics or AS levels in mathematics or further mathematics will
    count towards the EBacc and in the mathematics slot of Progress 8.
    If a pupil takes the mathematics linked pair GCSEs (Methods in Mathematics and
    Applications of Mathematics) the two results will be added together for the mathematics
    slot in Progress 8. These qualifications count in the performance tables for the last time
    in 2016.
    Where a pupil has taken more than one EBacc mathematics qualification (except for the
    mathematics linked pair GCSEs), qualifications which are not used in the mathematics
    slot will not count elsewhere in Progress 8.
    Approved mathematical type qualifications that do not count towards the EBacc, e.g.
    GCSE statistics, will be counted in a slot in the ‘open’ element of Progress 8 regardless
    of whether or not a pupil has also taken an EBacc mathematics qualification.
    Level 3 Free Standing Mathematics Qualifications will only count in a slot in the ‘open’
    element, and will only count if a pupil has not taken an EBacc mathematics qualification.

8. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

Just found out it doesn't :( Be nice to do something that helps both the school and the students alike.

9. kearl1

kearl1 New commenter

We teach the AQA further maths qualification to our top 60-ish students. It doesn't "count" in terms of P8 directly but (whilst I have no physical proof of this) I do think it helps pupils perform to their best in their actual GCSE and therefore I think it does have an effect on P8 since I believe some pupils grades will be upped a little bit by it.

I do agree that it helps those pupils going on to study maths at A-Level.

It is hard though....

kemmy likes this.
  10. kezzab15

kezzab15 New commenter

Can anyone advise on the best textbook to use to teach AQA Further Maths please?

11. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

12. Emma_2018

Emma_2018 New commenter

Have a look at CCEA (N.I board) Further Maths - I think it does count as a GCSE

13. mackey2704

mackey2704 New commenter

I am in year 10 and I usually get an A or an A* in my maths exams. We’re choosing are GCSE choices in January and I’ve never doubted that I wouldn’t do further maths as on of my choices. The Christmas assessments were very important for our choices . This exam I got a B and I’ve been very worried in case that means that I can’t choose further maths GCSE. Please could you respond with some information on whether I can still do further maths or not .

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Don't panic! Your maths teacher is the best person to ask, but I'm guessing you may have already broken up for Christmas? We can't possibly answer for your school - we don't know anything about the exam they set you, for a start. However if, until now, you appear to have been on course to do further maths GCSE, I doubt that a single lower result will mean they say no. Maybe you just had a bad day; maybe this exam was harder than previous ones and everyone did a bit worse.

15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'd agree with frustum, only your maths teacher can answer that. Different schools will have different requirements but I would have thought they should take all your results into account not just one bad exam.

16. ceepsprice

ceepsprice New commenter

Good evening for those who teach Further Maths, may I ask how many hours you teach it in? It recommends 120 hours but we would not be anle to fit that into our curriculum - can it actually take less time if taught alongside usual GCSE maths? Could it be an afterschool 1 hr a week lesson?
    Any advice gratefully received (the other option I'm looking at is FSMQ - however I have heard from some that students can find this v.hard and it could dent confidence - and also my head would not be pleased if results were poor!).
    Thanks in advance for any help

17. krmack

krmack New commenter

I taught this to over half the top set further maths last year during lesson time where I was doing revision with the other half! This worked out at 18 out of around 110 students in the cohort and they all achieved a grade C or above. I probably only managed to teach about 20 hours of lesson time including past papers and I don't think the pupils did much work outside of class until after their Paper 3 GCSE exam. However, with the new GCSE there are a number of cross over topics so actually it isn't too hard to teach the additional content :) I also think it helped the amount of pupils who gained 8s and 9s in their actual GCSE. Hope that helps.

18. mhull56

mhull56 New commenter

Sorry to jump on a thread here. I've been doing some research about using a course like this to stretch some of our Yr 10s (and maybe some 11s if there's time, but we'll see)
    I've done some research, and wondered if anyone can give me some advice on the following courses? Or others if there's a better options
    Thank you

Level 2 certificate in Further Mathematics

This qualification, offered by AQA, provides an introduction to the maths studied in AS/A level Mathematics. It is designed to stretch and challenge high achieving mathematicians who are expected to achieve top grades in GCSE Mathematics.

Further details are available on the AQA website.

FSMQ Level 3 in Additional Mathematics
    This Free Standing Mathematics Qualification (FSMQ) is a level 3 qualification. It also provides an introduction to the maths studied in AS/A level Mathematics. It’s designed to provide enrichment for students who have a thorough knowledge of the content of Higher Tier GCSE Mathematics, ideally those on track to achieve grades 7-9. It’s offered by OCR.

Further details are available on the OCR website.

19. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

These are the two main ones. While I don't offer them in my department, I have tutored students from other schools doing both, and some external students joining my sixth form have done them elsewhere.
    Both are very good, there is a clear spec, lots of past papers, and it introduces them to really important ideas early.
    Top tips:
    1) DON'T get students to do them in Year 10. One school entered a whole class for the FSMQ and they hadn't even covered most of the GCSE syllabus. Unsurprisingly most got a low grade or didn't bother sitting it.
    2) The Level 2 is a better intro to A Level as it has lots of Binomial etc. Bizarrely I feel it's harder than the Level 3, but if I was offering one it would probably be this.
    Feel free to ask anything else.

20. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

One potential problem, which I've encountered with a couple of year 12 students I tutor, is where most of the year 12 class have done the AQA level 2 but there are a few students who haven't. This is particularly likely to happen here as I live in a grammar school area and a lot of students move from non-selective schools to grammar schools for 6th form.

From what my students tell me, the teachers seem to assume everyone will be familiar with the topics covered by the level 2 and students who haven't done it are completely lost.