1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Further Education SEN /Supported Learning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by milanese1, Nov 27, 2018.

1. milanese1

milanese1 New commenter

Dear all who read this!

I have taught within SEN / Supported learning provisions for over 13 years now.

I am becoming increasingly concerned with the ever increasing size of the class I have this year.

I have 18 learners with varying needs; is this becoming the norm? It can surely only be detrimental to their experience? I am being told by management that larger class sizes with SEN departments is effective and 'works'... I completely disagree and feel we are doing a disservice to the learners.

I'd been keen to hear any opinions on this,

Many thanks...

2. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

There are many factors such as the levels of need which need to be taken into account.

However, to state larger class sizes per se are effective and that they work is total twaddle. I would ask - in a professional, "for my own CPD" - type manner - to see their evidence. How are the college finances this year?

3. suzyshepster

suzyshepster New commenter

It's the 'varying needs' that I find is a real problem. We are going back to grouping all students with SENs together. It is really difficult imo to successfully teach a group of students where some may be dyslexic and need more processing time, some ADHD and need a constant change of pace, with students with PDA who have to be cajoled with some students with autism who are sat hiding under their coats because the boy whose been picked on all his school life for being 'slow' has found an easy target. This kicks off an argument between several groups, who are from different secondary schools as they try to stick up for thrir own, causing several more students to go into meltdown because of the shouting. And that's before you even notice the quiet ones, at the front ...
    I think some of these 'managers' need to sit in these classrooms to see how effective it