1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Furlough

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by eviecat100, May 19, 2020.

1. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Hi! Was just wondering if anyone knows if furlough payments for supply teachers will be included in those that have been extended to October, please? As we wouldn't normally work in the summer hols, I assume we won't be paid for then? I would have been in a fortunate position had I realised not working for an agency for 12 weeks (including summer and first 6 weeks of term) meant p45! With this unknowing break in contract, calculations have been based on a short time. Very frustrating and a bit unfair considering I have worked almost full time with them for so long.

gold19951 likes this.
  2. GK17

GK17 New commenter

There is no reason why an agency or company couldn't extend someone's contract (if it expires in July) through the summer and they continue to receive furlough payments in the summer. It's allowed and doesn't matter if you wouldn't usually work in the summer. You would also be working now and be receiving a higher income from your usual supply work.

Some employers will use the scheme to protect their employees and do what's the best thing for the individual, other will throw them to the wayside.

3. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Where does it say not working for an agency for 12 weeks means automatic P45? I know sometimes they play the compliance thing.

4. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

I wondered this too!!

gold19951 likes this.
  5. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

Regardless of covid, this could potentially happen at some point anyways?? I’ve gone nearly a whole term without anything before. It’s not their fault or your fault that there’s not work available (or a schools)

6. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

I had no idea of that rule or I would have avoided it at all costs. Unfortunately I have it in black and white from the agency and did get my p45. Shocking I know.

pepper5 and gold19951 like this.
  7. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

8. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Yes, that was what happened. I had family commitments and was working for another agency part time, whose furlough pay has also been disappointing. £52 from one and £112 from the other, just covers my bills but nothing else. Luckier than a lot I know but it could have been so much better had the 12 week rule not happened.

9. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  10. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Thank you but unfortunately the payroll wouldn't budge. There was no work for 6 weeks and with the summer hols made 13 weeks.

11. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

12. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Yes I would be working full time now, as I was last year at this time, but am being paid less than half a day's work! X

13. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

I meant it could happen, with or without covid, going without work for 12 weeks.
    We should Be lucky that we’re getting some furlough, some people’s agencies aren’t furloughing them

pepper5, eviecat100 and gold19951 like this.
  14. btml

btml New commenter

Has anyone else on here been told that their payroll company is chasing payment from HMRC? I’ve been told this but find it hard to believe. I was furloughed 4 weeks ago and am yet to receive my first payment from them. My other agency payroll had no such issues.

15. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

perhaps it depends on the size of the agency?

16. btml

btml New commenter

It could be but I’ve spoken to HMRC today and they said all payments are being made to employers without delay.

17. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Don’t know if this helps at all, but when I was chasing up my agency for furlough they explained that it is a massive undertaking as they have to go through all the payslips for each employee and if they mess up with one person, it invalidates the whole submission to HMRC and they are only permitted to do one submission per month. The money did come through for me last week, but I know nearly two months with no money is really tough. Hang in there - the money will get to you. X

wooly311, pepper5 and btml like this.
  18. btml

btml New commenter

Thank you for this!
    Can I ask how long you were furloughed for by the time you were paid?

pepper5 likes this.
  19. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Yes of course, everyone should be entitled to it.

pepper5 likes this.
  20. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have been offered furlough but the pay the agency have told me does not seem correct.I earned 30K last year & from jan-july 1K per week can anyone advise how much furlough pay I should get? thanks in anticipation of any suggestions

pepper5 likes this.