1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Furlough pay by Payroll companies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hamidsaeedsheikh, May 2, 2020.

1. hamidsaeedsheikh

hamidsaeedsheikh New commenter

I have been furloughed by the payroll company after 5 weeks. They have paid me 140 pound for a week. I am thinking what to do with this amount. The have managed to calculate an amount less than JSA. 80% of Minimum wage multiplied by school working hours--- what a formula. Neither the working hours are correct nor the rate. No teacher works for 6 hours per day. The minimum time you spend is 8-10 hrs.
    What is to be done. Whom to approach. I am perplexed and am trying very hard to get some driver's job to make some money.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

hamidsaeedsheikh, you are not alone, many of us supply are in the same boat, one thing may have changed, in that the umbrella companies may now pay 80% of your average pay and I would check up on that. Also have you applied for Universal Credit, which if you get it, may make up your pay. I would also speak to your union rep. Are you registered with other agencies, if so and you have worked for them in February, then they can pay you as well. As you may tell from the other posts, many supply teachers are also fed up. I have noticed the 30 hours in that you look at your payslips, it states 30 hours for some reason, but you are lucky, many of us have not been paid anything so far.

Welcome to the supply family.

gold19951, pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Well done on getting some money - lots of others haven't yet.

gold19951, pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Umbrella companies are beginning to wake up and pay the correct amount after it was publicized on 'Moneybox'
    Listen to today's episode on BBC R4 'Sounds' app - it's right at the start of the programme - note the name of the umbrella company in question and then get in touch with your company again. (May 2nd - midday)

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  5. sjcharnock2002

sjcharnock2002 New commenter

I'm also with an umbrella company but they are going to be paying 80% of average salary. There's a great Twitter forum SupportSupplyTs who are pressing for our rights and publicising lists of good and bad agencies/umbrella companies. It seems like quite a few on the "bad" list are aware of the bad publicity and Ill feeling and are moving towards more equitable treatment. Might be worth trying to alert people on that forum.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. hamidsaeedsheikh

I donot know much about universal credit. I have a family of 5. Three children are students and over 20 yrs of age. The Universal credit will I suppose cater for me and my wife only. I am the only earning member. I have not applied for Universal credit, however Council has refused council tax rebate saying that two adults live in the house(I and wife).

pepper5 likes this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

hamidsaeedsheikh, remember the supply teachers motto 'don't let the bu&gers get you down', if your wife works, this may impact on council tax, but if you wife does not work as you say, it shouldn't, so i would apply for both UC and council tax rebate. If they prove difficult consult Citizens Advice for help.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

9. hamidsaeedsheikh

neu adviced me:
    In response to your query, we understand that - initially - a number of umbrella companies told members that their contracts provide for basic pay at the National Minimum Wage, with all other pay treated as bonus or additional payments, and that the latter could not be included in furlough payments. Their view was that this was unavoidable due to the way their contracts have been drafted.

We challenged this – there was nothing in law to support this assertion. The government has updated its guidance and confirmed that employers (including agencies and umbrella companies) can claim for any regular payments they are obliged to pay workers including wages, fees and compulsory commission payments. If your contract requires that you are paid fees, commission or bonus payments, these amounts should be included in the furlough pay calculation. Only discretionary bonus and commission payments and non-cash payments should be excluded.

Therefore, I would advise that you now raise this point with the company via email and ask that 80% of your standard earnings is now paid to you whilst furloughed and that the discrepancy between 80% of full pay and 80% of National Minimum Wage that you have incorrectly suffered to this point is now rectified and given to you as backdated pay.
    The response of payroll company was that neu is totally mistaken.

Unfortunately this is not correct, the government have not updated this yet, we are monitoring the situation on a daily basis and if the guidance does change then we will amend and backdate all payments. Please read the links attached for accurate guidance.

https://www.fcsa.org.uk/fcsa-warns-against-misleading-expert-advice/

https://www.fcsa.org.uk/fcsa-and-na...ent-for-answers-on-behalf-of-supply-teachers/

Kind Regards,