1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Furlough being stopped from 31 July

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hamidsaeedsheikh, Jul 1, 2020.

1. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

My other agency is paying over the summer, but it is very little - better than a punch to the face though

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  2. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Just got this...
    I am pleased to confirm that we are extending our CJRS (Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme) furlough arrangements until 31st August 2020.

After this date, our furlough scheme will cease and no further payments will be made.

For your information, I have highlighted the key dates below:

Payment for weeks ending 05th July 2020 to 2nd August 2020

Payslips released by close of business on 5th August 2020

Payment will be made on 7th August 2020

Payment for weeks ending 9th August 2020 to 31st August 2020

Payslips released by close of business on 2nd September 2020

Payment will be made on 4th September 2020

I sincerely hope given these very unusual times, that you have a chance to properly enjoy the summer break this year.

historygrump and pepper5 like this.
  3. gingerhobo48

Indeed it is as I wasn't expecting anything so something is better than nothing:).

pepper5 likes this.
  4. gingerhobo48

Historically I don't remember getting any daily supply in July:confused::(.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. gingerhobo48

It certainly is:).

6. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Whoop whoop. All 3 of my agencies are paying me over summer now and I've landed work from the start of September.

btml and gingerhobo48 like this.
  7. ajc89

Ive done the last day of term in July before as suiply!

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  8. gingerhobo48

Wow:eek:, that must have been... different:D.Are you primary or secondary?

agathamorse likes this.
  9. ajc89

It was kinda like a normal day actually! Big end of year assembly. It was primary.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  10. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Steviepal, well done on the work for September, may is is permanent or a short or long-term role.

Ajc, I have had work in July, mainly due to trips or courses.

I am hoping that the work may come in, in September in that if they apply social distancing and smaller classes sizes, combine with the government decision to ensure that everyone will be back in September. So hopefully this may be a good year for supply, but with some restrictions in that supply may be tied to one or just two schools only.

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and steviepal like this.
  11. steviepal

Ta. It's 2 days/week on supply which is great. However it's in a SEMH school so tiny class sizes. (Not a PRU, not going into those dumping grounds again). I'll see how it goes and how work is generally but it's potentially very long term if it's ok.

I've also been busy right up to the end of July many times. In primary and special schools.

12. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Agency u-turn on furlough- now they’re paying up to September... I was a bit grumpy , I have to say, about their earlier decision to stop 31st July...

Not a lot but every little helps..

gingerhobo48, btml and pepper5 like this.
  13. historygrump

Deirds, That is good news and it provides a degree of reassurance in terms of some money coming in, it will be interesting to see if in August, if they extend it for September, but knowing that you will have money coming in deals with some of the worries that I had in truth. Now I can just worry about getting work in September.

gingerhobo48, btml and pepper5 like this.
  14. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Thanks, historygrump.. I'm thinking I need to plan a new career. Nearing 60 (how did that happen), probably not very likely.

I think I will turn down any Cover/ TA work this year though. I am resigned to a low wage job, but I'll be damned if I'm going to use my qualifications and experience to earn it. Maybe Tesco's...

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  15. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Indeed i just had this. They said last pay cheque will now be in mid September due to backdating issues. Been to 5 interviews since lockdown and always a que of interviewees. Where before, around about this time, you would have something for at least a term or 2 by now, in each interview I've been to there have been 5 or 6 people being interviewed. I'm in the so called most teacher shortage subject you can get.

16. historygrump

Deirds, I am in my mid-50's and wonder about another career, but what, because supply is hard, but at the same time it can be fun. I have looked at other careers, but do they provide the stimulus and flexibility that I have come use too, do I want to spend the next ten years doing the same thing everyday, I may have too in the end, only time and fate will decide.

Mad Max, I think schools are still finding their feet and come September they may see a shortage of teachers, as some decide not to go back, possible smaller classes and the increased student numbers will need to be factored in. The school environment may never be the same again or take time to settle down to the norm. In terms of jobs, near me, the adverts for roles have been virtually non-existent, normally you would many adverts for roles for September, but as I have said the uncertainty is present in decision making by schools.

17. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Can only reiterate and comment as others have done previously:

One of my agencies have stated they will furlough me over August: there was an option for employees to do this or not, ( I'm guessing depending on those going back/into full time, perm posts or other work?). The other agency, well I'm yet to hear from them... so as they haven't mentioned anything yet, I'm taking it as a 'no' and then it will be a pleasant surprise if they do.

Latest Union guidance seems to both say " remind your agencies how furlough should be calulated' in that it should be worked out so you are covered over the Summer holidays, whilst simultaneously stating that "please remember that decision to furlough is voluntary" so - don't know really?

18. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Thanks for the reassurance history grump. At interview they really wanted you to do more than expected in usual circumstances re assessment, contacts etc. I know this is part and parcel of the job, but they wanted a lot extra. From experience I was tallying up the hours in my head for the tasks they wanted and it came to about 70-75 hours a week all for a low mid scale pay range.

If you are right history grump then those unrealistic schools taking advantage of the job situation and exploiting teachers (not worth working in those schools anyway) will have to eat a SH@T load of humble pie. I don't get why SLT have to be like this. Surely they know even when the market looks relatively like it's getting back to normal, then woosh all those that did go into teaching come out and once again there is a shortage for a bit.

To those SLT I say stop taking the P@SS and treat people like humans or else (I have seen it so many times before) those P@SS taker schools seam to be doing well, then all of a sudden the teachers up and leave and then they become inadequate, begging for people to teach there. I hope they listen. But then again a lot of SLT are ignorant and suspect nothing at the time. But mid you the arrogant never do.

19. steviepal

I'm off to w:)ork tomorrow. That'll be a shock. I've not got up before 10 for 4 months.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  20. gingerhobo48

Good luck, let us know how it goes:).