1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Furlough being stopped from 31 July

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hamidsaeedsheikh, Jul 1, 2020.

1. hamidsaeedsheikh

hamidsaeedsheikh New commenter

I have been informed by my payroll company that from 31st July the rules are changing. Govt will pay 60% and payroll companies are supposed to pay rest 20%. My payroll company is opting out of the scheme. They shall not pay anything after July 31st. Schools are opening in September - how will we manage until then?
    Is any one else also been effected?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You probably need to think about another line of work.

danielis13, ajc89 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

It is all wrong and as the unions state they should pay for the holidays, because the furlough pay is worked out over 52 weeks and not 40 weeks. If they opt out, I wonder if their is redress we could look into. One thing is that I would tell the agency and the umbrella company to look into dealing with the mess or that you may find teachers are not available in September and financially that could be crippling for the umbrella companies and agencies.

4. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

As supply teachers we never had an income from 31st July anyways from supply teaching ( well I never have) - so how did you manage previously over the summer holidays? Is it not the same?
    Yes - I know this time is unprecedented/ not normal/ strange etc etc. I am fully aware of that. And I know we are lucky to be getting furlough money (or even furloughed at all) because I know there are some people on here who haven’t

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with peakster...you may need to think about another line of work.

I am very sorry you are in this position. I have been in similar and it isn't a great place to be.

6. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Tutoring online?

pepper5 likes this.
  7. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

As for part time work elsewhere at the moment, I don't think there will be much. Pick for Britain if you can be away from home.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Coverings someone who is ill has become a very dangerous occupation.

Mix with hundreds of people who won't be social distancing in September? Bubble trouble ahead?

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  9. ajc89

One of my agencies isn’t paying for August. And that’s the one who was paying me £XXX a month

pepper5 likes this.
  10. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

My agency hasn’t said anything yet:(.

11. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

None of my 3 agencies are paying beyond 31st. August.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Without wishing to be in any way alarmist I really do not see much of a demand for day-to-day supply next academic year.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Brixtonboy like this.
  13. hamidsaeedsheikh

hamidsaeedsheikh New commenter

Furlough is not enough to cover two months, whereas normal pays would get you through.

pepper5 likes this.
  14. ajc89

I wouldn’t expect to get any in September anyways... did you mean July??

I guess it depends what they will do if someone goes off sick/has a course... that’s generally why supply are needed. And if they have a decent budget... In a trust I’ve done a lot of work in they got a supply in and kept HL/TAs where they were. Whereas in some schools I’ve worked at, they take the hl/ta put and use as a supply

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  15. steviepal

16. historygrump

One agency have said they will pay to the start of September, but it is only a pittance, but I am impressed by their actions. I am waiting to hear about what the umbrella company are going to do.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. historygrump

I have been told by the umbrella company that I will continue to be furloughed to the start of September and will receive my furlough pay until the 7th September, which is good news. I am not sure if it will be the same or slightly reduced, but owts better then nowt.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  18. steviepal

My agency has just informed me that my furlough is being reinstated (after telling me it wmtjdwdjmgpg in 3 weeks) to the end of July. Happy days.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  19. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I've had the 31st July email today. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Furlough pay wasn't much..

Hardly any work this year (Sep - Jan)

My sister rang this week thinking about teacher training. The govt website that persuaded her is all very optimistic (I looked at it after the phone call)..

I think it's back to the 80s...

pepper5 likes this.
  20. ajc89

You must have a lot of sick teacher’s where you are because I don’t seem to get much towards the end of july

pepper5 likes this.