1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funny names

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cathr, Jan 30, 2019.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I know there is an old thread somewhere about strange names but I can't find it!
    Here is my gem for today: I go through the register and find someone called 'Summa', assuming it was a foreign name I pronounced it as spelt. General hilarity in the class ( so rude..). I then go to check with the girl concerned how to pronounce her name correctly to which she replies, genuinely surprised that I don't know, '' but Miss, it's 'summer' of course''. The registrar must have laughed when he/she entered that name in the birth register....

MissGeorgi, sebedina and agathamorse like this.
  2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Guey - pronunciation. I asked my sister in law (whose friend had called her son this some 30 years ago) how it was spelt and she said Guy. I nearly wet myself laughing!

cathr, sebedina and agathamorse like this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I once came across a Sian - called her name out from the register amid howls of laughter. 'Miss it's Syan' she informed me.

cathr and agathamorse like this.
  4. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Edi... a girl... pronounced "EEEDDIE"

agathamorse likes this.
  5. cathr

One local headmistress has informed her staff not to impose their ''middle class values'' onto students. I wonder whether this includes telling the children that it is rude to correct the pronunciation of an unusual name (particularly in the middle of the register). Are social graces 'middle class values'? I am losing my moral compass...

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

How did you think it would be pronounced? "Su" like summer, summon, summit, summary, sumptuous... "mma" like Emma, Gemma, comma, dilemma.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  7. cathr

I used 'SU' as in continental 'ou', I think can't quite remember.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. cathr

but the issue was the pronunciation of 'a' = 'er'. As it happens the girl herself pronounced the 'su' as 'sou'

agathamorse likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I remember seeing the end of civilisation as we knew it (or my 'middle class values') in the very late 80s when I acquired a Kristofer in my form :(

Report time was a nightmare when in Kalamazoo(sp?) were the thing and we had a Racheal! (She never changed it either)

I am so glad I am not teaching now as I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face with a Chardonnay there or.....whatever.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

That's rude of you, correcting mistakes is the name of the game. It means a lot to kids to have their name said right. Adults too. But only the kid who's name it is. It's not for the other youngsters to speak for said name.
    I've had a life time of it. Having one of those names that's spelt different to how it sounds and has two pronunciations. It's your name, you know what you ansee to. Personal stuff. Some daft teacher in my school always insisted on saying it his way. That's rude. It's my name.
    I'm pretty good at pronouncing unusual looking names correctly first time. You wanna see the joy on the kids face when the supply teacher of all things says their name right. Get a fair few wrong repeatedly but, let em let you know how their names said, look at their little face and remember it. That's supply. All about the smiles. Get em where you can

enyliram likes this.
  11. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Bad spellings of my own name on kids do wind my up tho. Especially when you turn up to the class for the first time, one of them next /last in line of the supply teachers job thing..... The girl stood at the front with a queue of lads to feel her mammary glands has the same name as yer self but spelt very badly. Long time ago now. Supply is a shocking traumatic thing at times

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Just when was it such a crime to mispronounce an unfamiliar name ? If abroad in a country where they were not generally held to be having English as a second language or whatever I would not be taking offence if they mispronounced my name. I had a maiden name which many people put a 'd' on the end of instead of its 't' and then married I was a Mc but often got Mac. You live with it, correct gently when necessary.
    Whilst we are on all this pc-ness...... whilst we now all have to refer to Mumbai, or Beijing why are we not continually referring to Welsh towns and cities in their Welsh names? (For that matter when was the last time anyone saw any reference material on a GCSE exam paper with a child with a Welsh name rather than an Indian, African or Oriental name?)

ms honey, enyliram and agathamorse like this.
  13. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

My two best ever names were Paris England and Barron Belch.. I guess with a surname like Belch you gotta just go for it.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I had a Mucky Fox recently. Mooki apparently. Sounded a bit like an 80s mountain bike. My favourite was a Mrs Ahsole in the staffroom. She corrected me and said "It's prounounced Mrs Asshol-ee" Ahh, like Arnie would say it. Mrs Assholeee get to tha choppa.

MathMan1, steviepal and agathamorse like this.
  15. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Over the years I've also had a Khansa, a Chris Massey and a Heaven Leigh in the same class, a brace of Chardonnays, a Vinnie Savage and a Saxon. I'm waiting patiently for a Scott Chegg.

16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I’ve had a few TJs, a CJ (“I didn’t get where I am today :D), a Bam and a Fifa. Those are the ones that I remember clearly.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't ever laugh at names.
    Stupidity, yes. Self crafted and carefully nurtured stupidity is worth a good old mock.
    But a name that somebody else gave you without prior consultation? No. Never.
    Yours
    Mrs D.Tittz.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Kaytee also Ktee and KT

AJ pronounced Ajay

19. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I once had a lad called Mohammed Ali in a class and in another there was a James Dean (who couldn't be further from a rebel if he tried :)),

In another school there was a girl called Harley and yes her parents were bikers and brought her to school on a Harley Davidson.

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Arsan Bhutt

steviepal and HS65 like this.