1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funniest Moment of your NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by MsBB1971, Jul 1, 2011.

1. As a few of us on here are nearing the end of our NQT year, it's a time to reflect back on the roller coaster of the last school year. There have been highs and lows and the odd moment that was just so funny, thought I'd share one of mine....
    In my first week of teaching my Year 5/6 class, some of my children were taken out of class over the week to complete assessments with the deputy. I was teaching the whole class when a young man walked into my room. Wanting to form good relationships with other children in school as I was new, I paused from my teaching, wished him good morning and asked how I could help him. The bewildered child just mumbled that he was just sitting down to join us. It was at that moment that I realised he was actually a child in my class! I could feel the heat burning my cheeks and even more so when a child on the front row whispered to his friend - "God, she doesn't even know her own class!"
    Embarrasing at the time but makes me laugh now...

2. I think my funniest momentt was in a PE lesson just after Easter. I had given the kids different relays to do as a bit of fun, so first leg ran backwards, second leg hopped, third leg jumped, 4th leg skipped then last leg was allowed to sprint to the finish. My TA had come out to talk to me about a display just to ask whether I wanted something else putting up and I had asked to wait for a sec until I started them on the race.
    I explained clearly what a relay race was, although Year 5/6 should have already known. I did a countdown......
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and yelled Go!
    All the teams started their first leg except the team nearest to us. Three of the boys (who don't listen properly LOL) went racing off across the playground, one running backwards, one hopping and one jumping all at the same time. The girl in there team just stood on the start line rolling her eyes, looked at me and the TA and said 'What are they doing?'
    The TA and I couldn't speak for laughing.... I think it was funnier because they looked like something out of a Morecambe and Wise sketch [​IMG]