1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fungus the Bogeyman?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Aug 19, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

For a little light relief, some of you may recall I moved to " Bat Towers" a couple of years ago, and last year had a very strange bite on my leg. This year, I have refreshed the privilege with ringworm, for which over the counter creams do not work, so off to useless doctor again.

I think this cream is working, but does anyone else know about this thingy? It is not a worm, but as stated above, and I cannot see how for the life of it I got it except via my cats?

Anyone?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Many years back I contracted Tinea from some playful kittens. They kept grabbing my ankles (with claws out) as I walked past.

Took ages to clear with various topical preparations.

3. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Sounds right: one of mine bites my ankles if he wants feeding : going for scrape result on Friday.

4. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Least its only leg!

5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I just responded to this, where's mi post gone?

Anyway, short version - I have had ringworm several times - working with manky horses and then not hosing myself down afterwards.

I just got one 'ring' which I scrubbed with a mild antiseptic (don't wash it as it could spread)

It's the same fungus as Athelete's Foot, have you ever had that before? Perhaps it just fancied a change of location

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You might find yourself on a course of orally administered griseofulvin as well as some form cream for topical application.

7. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Is that any relation to gristle?

9. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

No I see Wiki tells me not.

Don't fancy that though!

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nah. It just gives you a layer of fungal-resistant skin/nail/hair growing from the inside out.

Topical creams work from the outside in.

Both together should sort it.

Takes time, though.

11. Spiritwalkerness

Griseofulvin - that's the chappie they give to the horses too. Oh I also dried the ring up by spraying purple spray on it too (same as for the neddy). Dries it up really quick but stains

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That would be Gentian Violet, I guess. A bit old fashioned, but still works.

13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Yea it was kind of daughter to Skype me back as " peg leg" today, after all I've done for her: it's not so much what you sow as "I'm happy and I know it". And TTFN until the next need for money... anyway I digress.

14. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Interesting I shall ask the doctor on Friday.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good luck

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

... and don't worry.

17. Spiritwalkerness

Is an old-fashioned kinda gal and yes GV. Works a treat on verrucas too

18. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

I am a bit as it is a little horrid, but I am a tall girl, so there is plenty of space before it gets too bad I guess.

19. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Just worried about becoming the next " Singing Detective", although I believe that was a different condition.( psoriasis),

20. Spiritwalkerness

It just looks worse than it actually is. Two options are to just leave it alone and it will go but it takes about 6-10 weeks. Or go to quack. It's a painless condition (can be itchy but DON'T) and easily treated