1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funeral

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by heather1_1, Nov 17, 2019.

1. heather1_1

heather1_1 New commenter

My partners gran has just been given weeks to live and after being together for 5 years he would like me there for tge funeral. I have been at the school from january till july doing a maternity cover and they asked me to stay for music and now back in history still on supply (long story). What am i entitled to for a funeral? I also may have to leave half way through a day as sometimes sharw a car with my parter and need it to get home. The school is luckily pretty flexible and the head is nice so this should be fine. And i will mention it Monday. Just wondered about time off as never had to have a day off before when working?

Thanks in advance

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well make sure you say you expect it unpaid and see what the Head says. You don't have any 'entitlement' as such and you could mention the fact that it's your partner's need for the car which is the difficulty for you.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I would have just let you have the day off, it would have to be unpaid. Then I would ask the agency to send someone else for the day.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You are supply, so presumably you can get time when you want it, as the school can certainly ask you to leave at any moment, can't they?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Better still-offer the school a "solution" ie tell them that you plan lessons for that day which are assessment based, or in a computer room, or silent reading or whatever. one student briefed to help the others etc. That they are easy to cover. And then see if there are any available staff on that day via the person who organises cover on a daily basis.
    If you present your HT with the possibility of being away and not having to be paid and an in house solution being there with no cost, then they may not bat an eyelid in allowing you the day.
    The problem with encouraging your agency to send somebody else is that you are also introducing competition for your role. That nasty potential comes in all sorts of forms-somebody with a certificate you don't have, somebody who knows the kids, somebody cheaper, somebody who says "yes" more often. And once acquainted, that nasty potential can be realised at any point in the future.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I don’t disagree with you but I would not want to be changing class teachers mid term- if this isa primary school.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

ok
    They said "Music" and "History" so I understood Secondary.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I didn’t read it properly :rolleyes:

agathamorse likes this.