1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding New School

Discussion in 'Independent' started by littlemissgiggle, Oct 25, 2017.

1. littlemissgiggle

littlemissgiggle New commenter

There is a lot of information about starting a new state school through the new school network however I am struggling to find any info on how to start an independent school. I have contacted the independent schools commission who said they only register new schools but don't provide info/advice.

Does anyone have any useful sources of information? Everything from capital investment to curriculum planning to getting a team together.

Any help very much appreciated.

2. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Maybe you could try phoning a recently-opened independent school (well away from your own area) and ask them for some starting-out tips.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given a great many small independents are closing due to lack of funds, I wouldn't recommend starting a new one. Expenses go up year on year, but the ability of parents to pay fees does not.

Maybe do some research in the area where you want to have your school and look for proprietor owned small schools which may be struggling. Investing your money by offering to buy them and take them over might well be a better bet. You have a ready made school and parents love you for saving their school.

4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Despite what one hears, there are as many independent schools as there were ten years ago.

Seems that for every one that closes, another opens.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter