1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Funding in a free School

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by anotherone, Dec 4, 2015.

1. anotherone

anotherone New commenter

Hi,

I've recently taken a job in a free school as head of the Performing Arts department. We have just started to run GCSE's including GCSE Music. In previous schools I have worked as a teacher at GCSE music students have received free peripatetic lessons as part of the curriculum. My question is where do I get the money to be able to do this? I seem to hit a wall with every avenue I take and I am told that the school does not have the money to pay for them. The school is not in an affluent area and most of the students in the class are on free school meals and are pupil premium students.

I have spoken to the music service also and they don't have the funding or know of any to offer this.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

So you left an LA school where LA paid for individual music lessons and went to an academy, which had taken the LAs money for itself, and still expected the LA to give you free peripatetic music teachers? And they won't. What a surprise. You're a Free School, free of the LA, that means you have to pay for stuff, that's why you get the extra money. If your Free School has chosen to spend it on big salaries for the principal and SLT instead of your subject that's tough. You should have thought of that before you joined the parasites.

If the LA in your area still has peripatetic music reachers they might allow you to buy into the service but they'll charge you the full cost. The only money to pay for it is in your school budget. You'll have to work on the principal to give you some.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not all LAs have been able to provide peri music lessons free of charge - indeed, the two schools of which I was head were able to subsidise, but not provide free, such lessons.

As reg1950 has indicated, your school must either find the money from within its devolved budget - or charge for such lessons. There's no magic pot for you to dip into.

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Sadly, despite the fanfares and media announcements, music is not a priority for this , or any other government.
    I know there are schools who will spend some of their pupil premium money on music lessons for the relevant children, but this will all depend on the priorities of your school, and the needs of your disadvantaged children.
    Budgets are getting tighter and when cuts are being made, free music lessons will never be top of the list to be retained.
    Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.